Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

VTEC Problem well researched

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Problem well researched

OK, I'll just get to it....

Complete fresh build Obd1 B16a Turbo (6 psi), running Hondata with a good basic tune. No rocker lock upon VTEC activation. On a loaded dyno engine just stops revving at VTEC activation point, AFR's stay in check (Around 12.5/1). If I stay on the throttle it will eventually (%-10 Seconds) work through it and pull to redline. But, it is without the VTEC engaged, when I do the same run with VTEC disabled the power graphs lay over each other and there is no glitches what-so-ever.

-Car hot has 10 psi oil pressure at idle, 37 psi revving at 3000 rpm, which is just below Honda specification.

- When I put air pressure into the oil feed to the VTEC oil feed hole, I can hear it bubbling in pan.

-Vtec solenoid activates and has 65 psi oil pressure delivered to the VTEC sytem (Measured at the plug on the front of the head just in front of the VTEC solenoid) at 5200 rpm.

-Checked all realavent plugs in the head, the center O ring/dowell are in place and the oil restrictor between the block and head are all in place.

- I checked the rocker piston locking assembly by activated them with air pressure and each rocked locked successfully. I put the air in through the locking pin hole for the rocker bar. When I put the air in the system from the plug (Same plug as above) I get no rocker locking at all, but the system does hold pressure with a steady bleed off (No gaping leaks).

- On the datalog, the VTS and VTP mirror eachother when the VTEC is activated in the computer. When VTEC is turned of in the computer, The VTP signal blips on at mid 7k rpm.

I am installing a new Honda b16/type r oil pump tomorrow and hope (And pray) that will solve the problem. I would think that 65 psi in the vtec system should be enough, but I hope I'm wrong. I have not found a specification for that.

While this is driving me crazy, it is making 210 whp @ 6 psi with no VTEC which has me smiling

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC Problem well researched

-Update

New oem oil pump installed which raised the oil pressure some, but the problem is exactly the same. I do not know what do do next.

Please help

I forgot to mention that I am running Jun stage 1 cams.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a CEL?

working tach?

TPS sensor not in spec?

check the solinoid screen

VSS/ SPEEDO

temp gauge?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Peeonu25
got a CEL?

working tach?

TPS sensor not in spec?

check the solinoid screen

VSS/ SPEEDO

temp gauge?

No Cels

Working tach, in ecu and dash

TPS Adjusted propperly, reads properly in ecu too.

Solenoid screen clean and functioning properly (Tested with air)

VSS and Speedo functioning properly

Temperature sensor/gauge working properly, VTEC enabled over 140.

The ECU is throwing the VTEC signal (Reading 12v at the solenoid when activated) but no rocker lock. There is about 65 psi of oil pressure indicated at 5.5k rpm where VTEC is set at. Setting VTEC from 5000 - 6000 makes no difference, also more/less fuel in vtec tables makes no difference, adding/removing timing in the vtec tables makes no difference either. I do not believe that this is an electronic/tuning issue, but I don't where else to look for a physical problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im trying to take the simple route here, oil level? your cel light works right? haha

did you swap ECU's?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im trying to take the simple route here, oil level? your cel light works right? haha

did you swap ECU's?

I'm with you, most problems are very simple. I hope there is something stupid I have overlooked or screwed up.

Yes, full fresh oil after new oil pump, CEL does work and there are no codes and I have tried different ECU's with identical results.

This is a picture I just took. I have a bad valve stem seal which is what the oil around the #1 exhaust port is.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok explain to me what that box is that your intercooler piping is running from. i have a couple ideas but id rather be told.

ecu pins all correct?

ok out of wiring... theres synchronizing pistons that lock the rockers together when vtec hits, if their missing it wont go into vtec. short of that i really dont know what else it could be...
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok explain to me what that box is that your intercooler piping is running from. i have a couple ideas but id rather be told.

ecu pins all correct?

ok out of wiring... theres synchronizing pistons that lock the rockers together when vtec hits, if their missing it wont go into vtec. short of that i really dont know what else it could be...
Water to air intercooler, it allows for better air flow to the radiator and a/c.

ECU pins are all original, and VTEC signal and solenoid are operating properly.

The VTEC rocker pistons are all in place and function properly when activated with air pressure fed through the rocker rail locking pins with the cams out. I checked all eight individually. However when I tried to test with air pressure through the port in picture with cams in, they do not activate, but they do hold pressure with a smooth slow bleed down. This port also receives 70 psi of oil pressure when the vtec solenoid activates under load.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swapdohc
No Cels

(Reading 12v at the solenoid when activated)
is it activating at the rpm that you want it to? or is it at least getting the 12v's at that rpm?? and for ***** and gigs set your vtec engaugement speed to 0mph

jump the solenoid with your battery.

hows your timing?