Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Valve guide removal

Old 03-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve guide removal

Hello!

I want to remove my valve guide but I have some problems.

I have a tool to remove them.

I heated the head to 150degC like it is in the manual. Then I use the bigest hamer I have and the tool... and the valve guide didnt remove at all.

Is somebody alread done this?

Please help me! Any sugestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve guide removal (wing)

use the valve guide driver in an air chisel
Old 03-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to know how to remove them too,how did u u heat the head?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: (vteczone)

Is 150degC enought for these?

Will an air chisel do the job?

I heated the head in oven.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello!

I want to remove my valve guide but I have some problems.

I have a tool to remove them.

I heated the head to 150degC like it is in the manual. Then I use the bigest hamer I have and the tool... and the valve guide didnt remove at all.

Is somebody alread done this?

Please help me! Any sugestions?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>I have to ask,after you got them out what were you going to do then?Do you have the equipment to finish the job,like calipers to put the new guides in at the correct heights,a reamer and hone to size the new guides after they are installed(do you know the correct clearences or how to determine that you have them).Did you know that a new valve job is required after guides are replaced also.
Take the head to a good shop and have the work done for you,or chances are they will be doing it anyway after you messed it up the first time.

I don't want to sound like an ******* here but they are not "bolt on and go type parts"Changing guides should be left to professionals,like boring a block.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Valve guide removal (Ed's Racing Heads)

Why should I messed it up?

I know that after new guide are instaled they have to be a valve job done.

By the way I havent got any shop that they can do the job... so i must do it myself. I am not so stupid, you know?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd second the idea of a well-qualified shop doing it. I had problems doing them myself using the helms replacement procedure. I went through two of those freaking vg driver bits before I said shiiiit. I decided it wasn't worth risking damage to the head by hitting that little valve guide with the air hammer for as long as it was taking. If you think getting them out is hard, getting them in was impossible for me. I did however successfully remove all of the guides by heating the head as you did, then basically holding ice cubes on the guides until I could push them free with the vg driver. Tool alignment is key, those little nipples that fit into the valve guide are a bit fragile

*edit* - - I see now you said "biggest hammer I had" - I wouldn't even bother attempting removing the guides without an air impact hammer.... sorry man hand tools ain't cuttin' it trust me I tried.....
Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Valve guide removal (hpfsi)

You were very hellpfull form me. Thanks! So I must cool down the valve guide when the head is hot and go with the air hammer.

I will try to put them out. For installing I ll go to a machine shop.

You know I am from a little country call Slovenia.. and I dont have a chance to go to the machine shop, because there aren any. This is the problem so I ll try myself.

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why should I messed it up?

I know that after new guide are instaled they have to be a valve job done.

By the way I havent got any shop that they can do the job... so i must do it myself. I am not so stupid, you know?</TD></TR></TABLE>I did not mean to infer you were stupid,only making clear the steps associated w/guide replacement thats all.If you don't have a shop around you to replace the guides can I ask how you were going to get a valve job or size the guides.It takes some amount tooling to do heads correctly and I'm wondering how much of it you have available to you.