Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Under hood is very hot!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under hood is very hot!

Hey. I have a 1991 Crx Si with a b16a1 swap. After driving it gets extremely hot under the hood. If i pull over and put my hand on top of the hood it is very very hot. If i pop the hood everything underneath is HOT. You cant even keep your hand on the <U>intake</U> it is so hot. The valve cover, intake, intake manifold, transmission, everything is hot. I do not have a heatshield on the stock header but what happens to all the guys running ramhorn turbo manifolds? they dont have heatshields. (my car is not turbo im just saying for comparison).

I had my overflow bottle full and it slowly got lower untill it just filled the bottom and stayed there. Was this the system leveling out or am i burning some? It seems to run so hot i think the coolant is boiling and evaporating out. I smell coolant but the car is not smoking white.

What could cause everything to be hot? is this normal? Thanks

Anyway the temp guage doesnt move past normal but it is very hot under the hood.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Under hood is very hot! (TurboEM1)

When your car is cold, check how much fluid you have in the radiator. Pour in some water and keep the rad cap off while turning on the car with fan setting for inside set on heat and the fast blowing air setting. Then keep on filling up the radiator with the cap off untill it's completely full.

Squish the upper and lower rad hose sometimes to see if it will blow out any air bubbles and keep filling water in.

Don't fill water/coolant into the overfill canister, that's only for when the coolant has to go somewhere and it will fill itself in there.

hows your engine temp inside the car?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Under hood is very hot! (Mr.RHTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When your car is cold, check how much fluid you have in the radiator. Pour in some water and keep the rad cap off while turning on the car with fan setting for inside set on heat and the fast blowing air setting. Then keep on filling up the radiator with the cap off untill it's completely full.

Squish the upper and lower rad hose sometimes to see if it will blow out any air bubbles and keep filling water in.

Don't fill water/coolant into the overfill canister, that's only for when the coolant has to go somewhere and it will fill itself in there.

hows your engine temp inside the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When cold the level is right up to the cap. It is properly bled and has no air in the system. The car doesnt overheat its just hot under the hood. And why shouldnt i put some in the overflow? Engine temp inside? What do you mean?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Under hood is very hot! (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When cold the level is right up to the cap. It is properly bled and has no air in the system. The car doesnt overheat its just hot under the hood. And why shouldnt i put some in the overflow? Engine temp inside? What do you mean? </TD></TR></TABLE>

engine temp gauge I meant.

Why would you put water into the overflow bottle? doesn't the name 'overflow' mean something?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Under hood is very hot! (Mr.RHTuner)

guage always reads normal.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Under hood is very hot!

I was just wondering if this was resolved as I have the same problem. The hood is very hot and everything inside is hot but the temperature is normal on the gauge.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL, if he didn't get it fixed back in 06 it's a good bet it's fixed by now. 94
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 PM
pm4nudes

life!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95hondaAccord
I was just wondering if this was resolved as I have the same problem. The hood is very hot and everything inside is hot but the temperature is normal on the gauge.
lol i just stumbled across this thread. it was normal. the car had no heatshield on the header so the whole engine bay was getting heat soaked. A b16 in an already cramped bay didnt help. There was really nowhere for the heat to go.

p.s. car was then turbo'd, driven and sold. never a problem even turbo'd.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normal if you live in very hot areas