Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Uh-oh.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh-oh.

Well I do believe I have pulled my Accord over for the very last time. Let me recap all the bullshit I've been through with it.

- 130,000 miles - Bought car for $5500 with no immediate problems other than the ABS light coming on 30 seconds after driving (still havn't figured this one out at almost 180k and the brakes work fine).

- 145,000 miles - Noticed slugishness occasionally when driving. Didn't happen enough to concern me and was too random to pinpoint the problem anyway

- 150,000 miles - Began hearing a very faint ticking sound when accelerating out of the first couple of gears (automatic transmission). At some point the ticking became noticeable at idle, too. Switched to synthetic oil.

- 160,000 miles - Ticking has progressively gotten louder, still not at all noticeable unless you're really concentrating on it. During an oil change my mechanic put non-synthetic oil back in. This is when my car really started acting up.

- 170,000 miles - Sluggishness more annoying now in 4th gear (still not sure if this is related to the ticking). The ticking is even louder at idle. Everyone tells me this is normal for a Honda engine, but it still worried me. Did a valve adjustment and it didn't help. also began noticing fuel injector/throttle body tapping and whistling at this point.

- 175,000 miles - Everything is worse - Now I hear the ticking when idling and accelerating PLUS a grinding/knocking/stretching noise at the end of every gear. I do another valve adjustment to be sure. Switched back to synthetic and higher octane fuel.

At this point the car RAN a lot better... mostly just because I was running synthetic again. The noises were all still there but the ticking quieted down a lot for about 200 miles. Then it came back after driving the car around for a good bit in our first 80+ degree weather of the year.

I put in some oil treatment (thick stuff that worked very well for me when I first noticed the ticking at 150k-160k.)

later that day, when i got the car home i popped the hood and realized this ticking/knocking noise is coming from the bottom of the engine. now it's louder than ever and sounds terrible, especially under ANY acceleration but also during idle. the last time i checked the car was still very much driveable, though...

------

anyhow, i'm under the assumption i have spun a bearing.

whether it's a rod bearing or a main bearing i do not know but from what i've read they both suck.

i have very limited money, no transportation and a limited amount of tools.

my question is - what the hell am i going to do?

should I bother trying to work on this F22B1, with almost 180,000 miles, a possibly spun bearing, noisy throttle body/fuel injectors, and belts whirrrrring ready to be changed @ 180k?

if not, my only other options are to part out every single piece of this car and try to make as much money back as possible for some sort of transportation... or swap in another used f22b1.

i'm leaning towards the swap. i've really enjoyed the power, speed, and reliability this engine has given me these 50k miles (engine has yet to stall or not start up on me)

but how hard can it be to swap one identical engine with another?

thanks for reading and please guys... give me your opinions... i'm beginning to believe i'm **** out of luck.