Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Timing Belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt problem

Cams at TDC.
Crank at TDC.

After putting the timing belt one, the exhaust side has slack in it. When I turn the crank ccw, the tension is removed and the crank is now about one tooth off of the oil pump-timing belt gear mark. I placed a screw driver in number one and watched the movement as I moved the crank from the tdc mark to the point where the belt is tight and there is no movement of the screw driver. So it seems that everything is at TDC bout the crank might be off. Any ideas?

Place crank about one tooth back so when turned ccw to remove tension might line up with marks??

Not sure if this was the situation before. Only change was head cams and cam gears. No milling, and gears are at 0. Any help would be good. Thanks

Zach
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt problem (scratchback)

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Place crank and cams at TDC. Use the holes in the cams to hold them in place.
Put the belt on. Make sure the tensioner is loosened.
Turn the cams about 3 tooth CCW to take out the tension.
Tighten tensionser and enjoy.

If i missed anything please chime in. That's what i did and everything came out fine. Did you make an entire revolution to remove the slack from the belt. The helms says to move the cams 3 teeth to remove slack.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 AM

This is kinda the same problem here.. I have slack on my exhaust side.. but everything on mine is OEM.

What will happen if the slack is left there, and tried to start the engine?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt problem (speedymon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedymon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Place crank and cams at TDC. Use the holes in the cams to hold them in place.
Put the belt on. Make sure the tensioner is loosened.
Turn the cams about 3 tooth CCW to take out the tension.
Tighten tensionser and enjoy.

If i missed anything please chime in. That's what i did and everything came out fine. Did you make an entire revolution to remove the slack from the belt. The helms says to move the cams 3 teeth to remove slack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Followed Helms exactly!! As quoted, I did everything and the crank seems to still be off?!?!?!??!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt problem (sivik2nr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sivik2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is kinda the same problem here.. I have slack on my exhaust side.. but everything on mine is OEM.

What will happen if the slack is left there, and tried to start the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

DO NOT start the car with slack in the belt!!!! Unless you have money to spend on a new motor. There should be tension on every side of the belt. Exhaust, intake and in between cams.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scratchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DO NOT start the car with slack in the belt!!!! Unless you have money to spend on a new motor. There should be tension on every side of the belt. Exhaust, intake and in between cams.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn it... I put a long screwdriver and now i've got TDC on everything. I have slack on the exhaust side, and a little inbetween cams, and even a little less on the intake side.. my tensioner is not tight i'm guessing.

FaWk

Before I knew it was something with the timing belt I was cranking it to try to start it. I thought it was fuel or spark or something. I hope nothing is f-ed up...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sivik2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn it... I put a long screwdriver and now i've got TDC on everything. I have slack on the exhaust side, and a little inbetween cams, and even a little less on the intake side.. my tensioner is not tight i'm guessing.

FaWk

Before I knew it was something with the timing belt I was cranking it to try to start it. I thought it was fuel or spark or something. I hope nothing is f-ed up... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure that you put the belt on in the correct order with the tensioner loss(and at tdc).
1. Crank
2. Tensioner
3. Water pump
4. Exhaust Gear
5. Intake gear

Rotate CCW three teeth and tighten tensioner. Hope this helps you!

Any ideas out there with mine?!?!?!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:24 AM

Keeping it up top!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the crank at tdc and loosen tensioner. **** the ex cam slightly left of straight up, slip belt on, turn ex cam to take slack from between the crank and ex cam. EX cam should be straight up. Next move IN cam slightly left of straight up, belt on, turn IN cam to remove slack from between gears. Gears should line up with all slack on intake side. Pull up on the belt on the intake side and let go, tensioner spring should take out slack, tighten tensioner. Turn a few teeth ccw and check tension, adj if needed.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt problem (Sleeper)

Read my orignal post. When everything is at tdc, there is slack on the exhaust side. move the crank slightly ccw and slack is removed.

Any more help out there.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read it right the first time. Your cams are not lined up, thats why when you go ccw, slack is removed but your not at tdc anymore. Crank needs to be at tdc first, then the gears, with the slack on the intake side.