Symptoms when timing belt jumps teeth?
Ok, my car's been running really crappy lately and I can't figure out why. Here are the symptoms
1. Car runs really pitch black rich... if I rev it up in my driveway I get a big black streak behind my exhaust
2. Random CEL 43 codes, "Fuel Delivery System Malfunction"
3. Car is noticeably sluggish, and has no power above about 4000... it starts detonating soon thereafter.
5. Car dies randomly (may be a seperate electrical problem, but I'm not sure, the ECU may be getting completely confused)
6. And the clincher... I checked my timing a while back and it looked as though it was advanced into the stratosphere... way past the last white mark, I'm not sure how to gauge the numbers for sure, but if the red mark is 16 I would estimate it was around 20-22 degrees. I pulled it back to about 15 and now the car idles like crap, surges up and down and it sounds almost like it's misfiring.
So what's the diagnosis? Did I slip some teeth on the timing belt? I haven't had a chance to jack it up and check TDC on the pulley and cam gear, but I will be doing that tomorrow.
[EDIT]: Also, just for good measure... I'm running the Greddy SOHC turbo kit on a D16Z6, with DSM 450's and VAFC hack for fuel management. I haven't ever been able to get the hack running right, but it may be for this very reason.
[Modified by M-EJ1, 11:56 PM 3/19/2003]