Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

suggestions on distributor woes B18C

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suggestions on distributor woes B18C

ok.

About 20K miles ago, my distributor was involved in a swapping effort to troubleshoot a buddys car. we ended up breaking the chuck and now it has a D16 chuck on it driving the dist. been fine for all this time. when the chuck bent and that motor spun 180 out, the rotor popped off along with the screw. since then, even with a new rotor on it, the rotor will eventually round out and get way loose. this rotor I have had on there for about 15K miles. I drive hard and check my major wear points often. I notice when the rotor is loose, there is a noticable dip in torque from 2-4800K and only really pulls well above 6K with some dropoff after 7500. I checked it this weekend, sure enough. What I had been feeling was definately the loose rotor. Before I discovered removable loctite, the rotor screw also had been falling out.

Tonight I took it apart and removed the rotor screw which was still well seated, took the rotor off and installed a couple winds of electrical tape on the shaft where the rotor installs as an attempt to bolster it. I put it back together and it seemed about 90% balanced and the screw seated well. The rotor was on there good; I installed loctite on it also. Fired up right away. I just did a 20min test drive (4.7mi loop by my house with several bends/tight corners X 2) felt good. When I got home, I took off the cap and inspected the rotor wheel. There is a SLIGHT shimmy in it but not nearly the way it was before. Could anyone suggest a means of bolstering this unit perhaps any type of glue to use in conjunction with the screw/tape idea and or something completely different. The rotor is relatively new, I would like to replace it soon.

I just wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues with thier distributor. Im just looking for some ideas
Old 05-10-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: suggestions on distributor woes B18C (MikeSarr_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeSarr_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok. The rotor is relatively new, I would like to replace it soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a '96 disty with 60k miles on it, if you would be interested in buying it.......Give me a PM or email if interested.

Thx,
Nick
Old 05-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: suggestions on distributor woes B18C (Nikolai)

thanks dude, good to know.

I ended up putting metal shim under the bottom of the square part of the
disty shaft where the rotor mates up. it was perfectly seated then. so
far so good.