Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Stripped head stud hole, using time-sert for repair???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
mike93eh

Default Stripped head stud hole, using time-sert for repair???

okay i have a stripped out head stud hole in the block of my d16z6 and was wondering what i need to get from http://www.timesert.com to repair it? anyone use time-serts before?

i think it is 10mmx1.25 is that right? but what length do i get?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stripped head stud hole, using time-sert for repair??? (mike93eh)

Visit any local domestic performance machine shop and get it done on the cheap.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: Stripped head stud hole, using time-sert for repair??? (ScottEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Visit any local domestic performance machine shop and get it done on the cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know that.. but that involves taking the block out and taking it to them... way too many problems. i JUST put it in.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 AM

what do you want us to say?

lifes a bitch man... sorry
Old 08-29-2005, 09:18 AM
mike93eh

Default Re: Stripped head stud hole, using time-sert for repair??? (dcb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dcb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you want us to say?

lifes a bitch man... sorry</TD></TR></TABLE>

well for starters. in the first post im asking what size i need and where to buy timesert kits. i am doing this myself. no way am i taking it back out. ive done helicoils before. but want to do this with timeserts.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Search google for timeserts, you can purchase them through that company. On their website they are a little over $300, I had to do this last week, I got it done locally for $35 a hole.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search google for timeserts, you can purchase them through that company. On their website they are a little over $300, I had to do this last week, I got it done locally for $35 a hole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea right they are more like $60-$80 for the kit to do a dseries head bolt. just cant find a place to order online looks like ill have to call in. if they were ****** $300 youre nuts. i can get 3 d16z6 blocks for that much LOL
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> in the first post im asking what size i need and where to buy timesert kits. i am doing this myself. no way am i taking it back out. ive done helicoils before. but want to do this with timeserts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thet're 10x1.25. I've always used heli-coils.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha yea right they are more like $60-$80 for the kit to do a dseries head bolt. just cant find a place to order online looks like ill have to call in. if they were ****** $300 youre nuts. i can get 3 d16z6 blocks for that much LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.timesert.com/html/honda.html

I would love to how much you actually pay for a Timesert brand timesert. You might be confused with a different kind of insert but I know for sure how much the Timesert kits cost, feel free to call them and post your results.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.timesert.com/html/honda.html

I would love to how much you actually pay for a Timesert brand timesert. You might be confused with a different kind of insert but I know for sure how much the Timesert kits cost, feel free to call them and post your results.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no im not confused. you do notice how 92-95 civic's nor 10mmx1.25 is not listed right there? give me second..
Old 09-04-2005, 05:32 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.timesert.com/html/honda.html

I would love to how much you actually pay for a Timesert brand timesert. You might be confused with a different kind of insert but I know for sure how much the Timesert kits cost, feel free to call them and post your results.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pip9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">timeserts should work well. The kit for a b-series is $300 + shipping from them. I got my custom d-series timeserts kit for $80 from them. I never got to use it though b/c part of the block cracked and broke when i drilled it out.

A friend of mine sent his out to a machine shop had all the holes threaded to the nascar sized arp headstuds. He also had to drill out the holes in the head alittle bigger, but he is having no problems with his engine now. And its stronger than before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zero...76932
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One week later... That's still nearly $100, you could have taken your block out, gone to a machine shop and had 3 done for that price by someone who knows what they're doing. Ha your car could have been running by now.

I feel your pain though, it took me about two months to find time to do all the measurments for fully building my block, when I was all done I went to put my head on and ran into the same problem. Since I had my motor sleeved/machined in California I had to take everything back off the block to send it out and rebuild everything again when it came back. I ended up finding a local domestic machine shop that did all the work for less than it would have cost to send it back out to CA.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM
mike93eh

eh, im in no real hurry. i have other cars to drive.

i have done thread repair with timesert like kits. i know what im doing. so thats not a problem. if i take my block back out that means im gonna have to buy a $200 engine hoist. and waste alot of time taking it out and then trying to get it to a machine shop since im busy and then waiting on them. and plus having to pay them.

or lets see i could get a timesert kit for about $100. you understand now?

plus i dont like the machine shops around here, theyre all v8 meatheads.