Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Smog Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Questions

I know all about what it takes to be smog legal and to get a swap BAR'd.

My questions have to do with what smog techs look at as far as the engine is concerned.

I know they look at all your emissions equipment but do they look at the engine code itself? I got a DB1 and I want to know if they are looking for the B18a1 code or are they just looking to see if it's a B18. That being said, would they see B18c and say 'oh ok, it still has the B18 engine'

Also, would it be ok to see a smaller engine in it? Ideally I want to get the XSi B16 swap from hmotors so technically, from a smog point of view, a smaller engine would be better smog wise lol?

I'm not worried about passing the sniffer as that's no problem to me. It's getting them to just go forth with the smog test is what i'm concerned with.

I've called a few smog places by asking questions that I thought would lead them to answering my questions without directly asking them in hopes not to tip them off about the engine codes but I guess I didn't ask the right questions because I got no answers lol. One guy started talking about 5 cylinder engines out of no where, WTF?

I've read all the info I could find on the net but nothing answered my questions. So if you got any info, let's hear it. Oh and no he said she said BS, I need legit info. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Smog Questions

Depends on the smog tech. It is well know amog us that honda engines with out a letter designation at the end are JDM and have to be sent to the Ref. A b16 will also get sent to the Ref.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Depends on the smog tech. It is well know amog us that honda engines with out a letter designation at the end are JDM and have to be sent to the Ref. A b16 will also get sent to the Ref.
JDM engines do have a letter designation at the end. They just don't have a number following the last letter. But either way, You're saying it depends on the tech if he/she wants to check out the block code? So it isn't something ALL techs MUST look at?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by B16RacerN2NR
JDM engines do have a letter designation at the end. They just don't have a number following the last letter. But either way, You're saying it depends on the tech if he/she wants to check out the block code? So it isn't something ALL techs MUST look at?
my bad ur right i meant no number at the end. Leagally the tech MUST check the block code but the reality is it depends on time of day and the mood of the tech. dont assume the tech doesnt know. Im 33, a Smog tech, and I know just as much about Honda engines as anyone on this board.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some reg. smog techs will not know what a jdm motor is but most refs will know wut they are. since ur car originally came with a b18a1, swapping over to a jdm b18c will be pretty simple to pass if you can do the wireing correctly and get the right ecu..i heard now that if u wanted to pass Bar wit a swap motor in a obd0 or obd1 chassis all u have to do is pass a visual inspection and u get a sticker, then the ref will send you off to see a smog tech for a tailpipe sniff..if ur pass ur all good to do..

if u try to pass bar with a swap motor in a obd2 chassis u better be sure u noe wut ur doing bcuz the ref will give u all kinds of crap and fail u left n right...ive been thru that and took me 9months to pass my ek wit a jdm gsr
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do check the stamp. I've sent my fair share to the ref.

That being said, If they are not Honda heads and the motor set-up matches the vacuum diagram on the hood then they might not check it.

I would try to make it look as stock as the day it was born also.

Some of our reference manuals have the engine codes listed FYI.

Good luck.