Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Slow cranking like flat battery on hot starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow cranking like flat battery on hot starts

So I have this cranking problem that I've been trying to diagnose on my EG4 (D15B2) when the engine is up to temperature.

On cold starts or when the engine is off for a while, it cranks and starts every time (starts on about 5 cranks). The problem is when the engine is up to temperature.

If I stop for a gas fill and start the car afterwards, the starter will sound like the battery is totally flat and not even turn over one full rev (you can hear it working though). Wait a bit and it'll turn over a few times slowly and finally it will crank normally and start up. And it will start up normally after this if you shut it off and crank it again to replicate the problem, until it acts up again after another drive.

Sometimes when I re-start the car -immediately- after a drive, it may start normally. Then when I turn it off and wait another 20 seconds or so, it acts up like above.

So far I've tried changing out the starter and battery twice already and the problem persists (although I have to say they're used parts). Did a search on this problem and it seems the main relay is often problematic on these but from what I see on the diagrams it has nothing to do with the starter motor.

Would the alternator contribute to this? The car starts no problem when cold though...

Sorry if this is rather long I'm just trying to explain the problem in detail.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Slow cranking like flat battery on hot starts

You are correct the PGM-FI Main Relay has nothing to do with engine cranking.

As with all electrical problems, redo, [disconnect/clean/reconnect] your main grounds, that's batt. to chassis and chassis to engine, again do not just eyeball them, redo them.

Even if the grounds are not the problem, it is the best way to elliminate them as the possible problem and it can't hurt to redo the grounds on a 20 year old car. 94
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Slow cranking like flat battery on hot starts

Thanks, I did check the grounding where the previous owner left the thick chassis-transmission ground disconnected with only a ground on the steering pump and intake manifold. I reconnected it which didn't seem to help but I'll go over them again together with the power lines etc.