Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Serious ECU/CEL problem, need knowledgeable help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious ECU/CEL problem, need knowledgeable help.

I'm running a 94 LS, I/H/E, stock cat with stock o2.
alright. I'm running on uberdata, with bigwig's map(his map is fine). I ran with it for a week with no problems. Today I get in the car start driving
it throws a cel. then it goes away. then it comes back and goes away, the car hiccups. finally the light stays on, and it goes in limp mode. 3500 rpm rev limit, running rich as crap. I'm running 450's with the inline resistors. I've ran those for a week no problem, waiting on a stupid BOV flange to put my turbo setup together.

I get home. I resolder J1 cause I snipped it once or twice. double checked the resistors and connections, pulled the ECU fuse, let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I pulled the plugs, all black, as I expected. did a compression test for the hell of it, 175 across the board. I tried to jump the thing under the dash, but when it was jumped, the CEL would just stay on, not blink, but if I pulled it out, the CEL would go out. I was really confused at this point. there was 2 connectors in the rubber boot. one had 2 holes, the other had 3, I jumped the one with 2. Put it all back together went driving for an hour, no problems.

I go to my buddies house to pick up a CD, I started it, it was cold, but its 2 in the morning so I had to get over there and back quick so I left easily, and drove under 3k the whole way there. I get there, and it shuts off right before his house. I start it up, it runs normally.

We are going through the tracks on the CD, and its been idling for about 15 minutes, been through 2 times the fans kicking on. Then the CEL comes on, the idle dies, and it shuts off. With the motor off, the CEL begins blinking fast as ****. and there is a clicking noise everytime it clicks coming from under the hood, I pop the hood, the clicking is coming from the intake manifold or around there. I quickly turn the key to off. Pop in a paper clip, nothing. CEL stays on, I pull the paper clip, CEL stays on. wow then it starts doing that clicking noise again, and the CEL blinks on and off rapidly right along with it, so I was pissed at this point, I said go ahead click away you stupid ****. and it just kept clicking then it finally stopped. from there I pulled the ECU fuse, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, popped it back in, started it up, and it idled and ran fine. I then rushed home, did a few pulls through the power band, it pulled and ran like normal. I pull in the driveway let it idle for a minute or 2, it was normal. I shut the motor off, come inside and here I am, confused as ****, and need some desperate help. I'm completely confused. Seems like it only wanted to do it after it sat there and got hot, cause prior to that I drove around for an hour at normal city stop and go traffic just to see if anything goofy would happen. the fans never come on unless I'm just idling somewhere. Anybody know what could be happening, please help, thanks so much.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Serious ECU/CEL problem, need knowledgeable help. (pushinlsteg)

bump