Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS

Searching has made me ask some questions that have always been left dead ended... I need answers to these quotations, directly Cut and paste.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know much about the B20A, but most people on here agree that it isn't worth two craps. It supposedly has a god-awful rod/stroke ratio, and its not even worth swapping a different head onto the block. I doubt you'll find much info on the swap, because I don't think anyone does it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clockworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B20a's and the B21a's are the outcasts of the B series, not much of anything is compatible with other B engines. However, they, IMO, are great motors. Excellent for turbos.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek nine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b20 a3, a5, is off a 88-91 Prelude.
Year: 90-91
Model: USA 2.0 S
Engine: b20a3
Generation: 3G - BA
Displacement CC's: 1958
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
Horse Power: 104 @ 5800rpm
Torque: 111 LB/FT @ 4000rpm

Year: 90-91
Model: USA 2.0 SI
Engine: b20a3
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Horse Power: 135 @ 5800rpm
Torque: 111 LB/FT @ 4000rpm

Year: 88-89
Model: USA Si
Engine: B20A5
Compression Ratio: 9.0 : 1
Horse Power: 135 h.p.
Torque: i dont know
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone once told me that all b series engines were the same. What doesn't work between the B20A5, and other Bseries stuff? I need to know because I have a Prelude Si about to give birth. I have a Civic that needs an engine as well.
I mean look at these numbers... If they are legit, I cant see why it isn't a source for inexpensive reliable ponies... I mean are these engines more like Clydesdales or something? Heavy, hard workers?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-01-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS (CRneXt)

Some people forget about the b20a when they say "all b series". That motor is the b series stepchild. It has a poor rod ratio of 1.49 so it isnt that good for revability, not that it always matters. None of the other b series parts are work on it though, the heads, exhuast, pumps, nearly everything is compatible except for the b20a. That makes it difficult to swap parts and the motor mounts are different too. So they really arent that popular for swaps, they need more work than they're worth and have way less aftermarket following. I think headers were made and im sure an intake but other than that a turbo is gonna be custom or theres always NOS im sure it can handle some if the engine is in good shape.

So what if it has 135hp an ls motor has 140 unless you get a really old one, and they just get more from there.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS (boostn420)

Okay,
Well, that seems to be a little bit of desired information. How about hybrid-ation? Can one use the rods and pistons from it in a B18A, perhaps?
I mean I always heard that there is no replacement for displacement...
I found some of these parts kinda cheap, and was just wondering about them.

I mean if it is REALLY worthless, I understand, but I would like to know that I have chased every detail about them. I love Honda for their integration!

Scott
Old 03-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS (CRneXt)

There is no replacement for displacement thats why the h22a exists, that thing hauls *** in a civic. The rods are 141.7 for b20a5 and b21a1 and 142.75 for b20a3. The longest b series rod otherwise is 137.9 in the gsr so that quite a difference you could probably use them in a f seies accord motor but that would be even worse that just using the b20a. Bore size is 81mm for b20a's and 83mm for b21's. But if your gonna swap pisotns just go aftermarket or proven integra parts. I think that maybe the crankshaft can swap over with little or no mods necessary to use it, Im not sure. But thats it, the heads dont match the later model B's either.

Yeah, sad to say of a honda motor, but it REALLY is worthless, but we can beat this subject to the dirt if you want.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: SEARCHING DEVELOPED MORE QUESTIONS (boostn420)

Blah...

I hate this crap... You find yourself a little bit of inexpensive parts, and then you find out that it is REALLY pointless. Are the cranks the same, then?
Or might there be some benefit to using one of them with like a B16 rod or something like that? Maybe moreso, if one were o use the B120A5 crank and rods, and used a set of B16 pistons? I donno. I think I am just swimming in a puddle of dreams... Daydreaming gets the worst of me.
I have heard of using the Throttlebody off their intake, but what about the WHOLE MANIFOLD?

Scott