Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Resource: What OEM steering wheel fits my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Resource: What OEM steering wheel fits my car?

Originally Posted by kn0tz
what is the count for a NSX?
No idea. I have only added what I've found results for. I didn't search every single year and trim of every model Honda has ever made though, plus I didn't look for all models even.
Originally Posted by big_jule
I have a 97 cl and want to put in the 06 tl, but why can't I use the tl airbag?
Click the link (it's the user name listed when the post said that you can't use the TL airbag).
Originally Posted by Mishako129
So does this mean that the 1992-1996 Prelude wheel will work in my 91' accord?
Just because spline counts match up does NOT mean the wheel will work. But it leads you that much closer. If you find information elsewhere or confirm or deny it yourself, could you please post in this thread and I'll edit the first post?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Prelude wheel and its working perfectly, plug and play no problems at all. Thank God for that, the wheel looks and feels soo much better. Only thing was I completely stripped out one of the star keys and can't get it out. Hope never to have to open it again soon.

I'm selling my old one on ebay. Pm me if anyone wants it.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong on the 94-97 Accord.It's 33 spline and fits the EK civic perfect. I just got a 95 Accord black leather wrapped steering wheel and it fit my 2000 Si perfect.Looks like the Si wheel almost but black.The only thing is you need to splice in the Si airbag connector and the cruise control connector but the EK clock spring works fine.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danrs
Wrong on the 94-97 Accord.It's 33 spline and fits the EK civic perfect. I just got a 95 Accord black leather wrapped steering wheel and it fit my 2000 Si perfect.Looks like the Si wheel almost but black.The only thing is you need to splice in the Si airbag connector and the cruise control connector but the EK clock spring works fine.

That is good to know. I just bought a EJ6 1997 Civic hatchback cx and the steering wheel is terrible and with no power steering the steering wheel material is not connected to middle and i feel like im going to rip it off one day by accident lol.....I am going to the junk yard now to get me a 97 accord leather steering wheel those feel way better
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info. I always wanted to see if an NSX steering wheel would fit my 1994 civic. I would like the tight leather wrap compared to my 97 itr wheel I have now. The acura vigor would be hard to come by.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What if you want to install an aftermarket steering wheel( like an NRG removable, so i can carry it around the mall like my wife does with her purse lol, and im not joking) but i dont want an airbag light on, and i still want my passenger airbags to deploy properly. How could i make that happen?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AGGstyle96Hx
What if you want to install an aftermarket steering wheel( like an NRG removable, so i can carry it around the mall like my wife does with her purse lol, and im not joking) but i dont want an airbag light on, and i still want my passenger airbags to deploy properly. How could i make that happen?
x2 ^^^^ I'm curious on this as well.....minus the carrying it around the mall like a purse part, well.....maybe. Lol, joking! <------Or am I???
Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any of the accord wheels will fit the early prelude etc, on the 3rd generation accord the back of the prelude wheel has to be shaved down slightly, this also means first generation accord wheels will fit almost all pre airbag Hondas, the first generation is one of the cleaner looking wheels, no cruise etc, if you want radio buttons on a pre airbag Honda, the Accord SEI wheel has them, you just need the slip ring and an SWI-X unit to make them work with aftermarket stereos, 3rd gen SEI
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So waaaait... The s2k has 33 spline but the OEM wheel fits a 97 accord ?! (29 spline). I just want to install a non srs itr dc2 OEM wheel. Please help.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Trial User

How about Honda JB3/JB4 (Life Dunk)? Will its steering wheel fit civic EJ/EK?. Example:

http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/j304392199
Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm told the Honda Fit steering wheel can fit the 96-00 civic, do I need to swap the steering column? Can someone confirm?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking at the first post, it appears I have a 29 spline wheel (1999 Integra, aka DC2).

My only goal is to add steering wheel audio controls. As I see it, I have two options:
1) Add controls from another Honda steering wheel to my existing config
2) Replace my existing steering wheel with another 29 spline on the list.

Since this is a steering wheel swap thread, I'll save question 1 for somewhere else. That said, I didn't see much in the way of Gen 3 Integra swaps. Can anyone tell me if they've done a swap?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Trial User

Would a honda accord 03 steering wheel fit on a 7G civic 05 ?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I must say that there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

1. 94-97 accord steering wheels do NOT fit in 92-95 Civics even though they're both 29 splines.

The accords have a 17mm BOLT in the middle of the steering wheel instead of a 19mm NUT.

2.88-91 fit, BUT you you will have to cut the steering column cover, and your turning signals will not work because the steering wheel isn't long enough!

Name:  NJxrEmf.jpg
Views: 3186
Size:  889.9 KB
Name:  0WaIaJe.jpg
Views: 3319
Size:  960.1 KB

3.ACURA VIGOR steering wheels work perfect for 29 spline cars such as the 92-95 civic. I have one : )

Name:  1cpYmod.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  683.6 KB
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 PM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about the cl1 euro R steering wheel in a ek civic?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX

The following Hondas use 29 spline:

90-93 Accord (377mm diameter)
94-97 Accord
88-91 Civic
92-95 Civic
92-97 del Sol (371mm diameter)
92-95 Domani
90-93 Integra
94-01 Integra
88-91 Prelude (371mm diameter)
92-96 Prelude

Someone on Honda accord cd7 1995 have Honda Civic 2010 steering wheel.

I too want put Civic steering wheel, but it fits or not???
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Trial User

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but if I have a Civic MB7 which is based on Domani it means that the steering wheel from Prelude V gen will fit?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump from the grave, but it's applicable. Replying to your airbag functionality, I did a single stage airbag EP2 wheel in a dual stage equipped car, no SRS light, airbag is operational. https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...s-car-3319604/
Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Trial User

Hi guys, my 1994 Honda Domani failed it's warrant of fitness due to SRS light not doing it's self check. Auto electrician has taken it all apart and said it needs a new airbag. Unfortunately no Domani airbags floating around at any wreckers in my city so looks like replacing the steering wheel is the way to go. Looking at the OP there aren't any reported compatibility issues with a Domani but then again it's probably a fairly uncommon car. Does anyone have any recommendations for the sort of wheel I should go after? Probably an early civic?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dead thread revive. I went to junk yard and pulled a steering column from a 94-97 accord. It's 33 spline, I verified by fitting s2000 steering whee on it. Hope it helps someone.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 96 ex civic, and i was able to install the wheel from a 2008 civic. to keep airbag functionality, i snipped off the oem connectors and used 2-pin molex connectors. i was also able to install a clock-spring from the newer civic with a bit of dremel work, so now the cruise control buttons also work.

if anyone's interested, i'll post some pictures of what i had to do.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeymcf
i have a 96 ex civic, and i was able to install the wheel from a 2008 civic. to keep airbag functionality, i snipped off the oem connectors and used 2-pin molex connectors. i was also able to install a clock-spring from the newer civic with a bit of dremel work, so now the cruise control buttons also work.

if anyone's interested, i'll post some pictures of what i had to do.
please do
Old 06-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gladly!
keep in mind i took these pictures today, after i completed the mod, so i don't have any 'before' pictures.
the steering wheel i'm using is the 2-spoke one from the hybrid i think, but i would assume the steps would be the same if you're gonna go with the 3-spoke wheel.
when you get the new clock-spring, you'll want to cut off the 2 plastic spikes and the 2 clips, like in this pic:

then you need to take off your old wheel, the airbag, steering column covers, lower dash panel, and the old clock-spring. since you'll be cutting into the part that holds your headlight/wiper stalks, you'll want to remove that too, unless you fancy having bits of molten plastic shoot around your interior. when you have it out, set the new clock-spring on top of it, and use the white plastic below to center it, so you know where to make the cuts. when you set it on there, you'll likely notice you need to cut a third to a quarter out of each of the screw posts, like so:

you'll notice i didn't cut all the way through the base of the screw posts, that's because you don't want the clock-spring to sit flush, you need that extra spacing so the new steering wheel doesn't make contact with the column covers.

you'll also need to cut into those upper screw holes, to make room for where the connectors attach to the clock-spring on the column side:

be careful not to cut too much, or you might end up rendering the screw holes useless!

once you can wedge it on there, and it's centered, you can move on to cutting the column covers:

you don't have to take a lot off, so don't go crazy. you also want to be as conservative as you can on the right side, since the clock-spring sits so close to the latch on that side.
upper:

and lower:

now that physical fitment is out of the way, time for wiring!
for this bit, it's a lot easier to grab as much of the harness as you can out of the donor car, that way, you have the connector for the column side of the clock-spring along with all the wiring you'll need.
first, a few words of caution: for this part, you're gonna have to choose a pair of wires for the airbag. there's 4 there, since the newer civic has a dual-stage airbag; one is for high-speed collisions, the other for low-speed. i chose the wires that go to the high-speed side, because i think that's what came stock in the 6th gen civic. if you're looking at the backside of the new airbag, i'm pretty sure it's the connector that would be closer to the driver's side of the car, once installed:

now, i don't know if the airbag actually works, and i probably won't know until an accident happens. but if you make all the connections properly, the srs light on the dash should light up and turn back off, just like it used to. so i'd like to think i'm still safe.

if you're doing this all at the same time, the only airbag wires you should have to cut into, are the ones that come out of the column side of the clock-spring, like i did:

in my case, i had been using the new wheel with my original clock-spring, so i had an additional connector on the wheel side of the clock-spring.

for the cruise control, you have a decision to make. on the 6th gen, the main cruise switch is on the dash, but on the 8th gen, it's part of the rest of the cruise buttons on the steering wheel. so you can choose to use either the dash one, and have a useless switch on the wheel, or use the wheel-mounted one, and either have a useless dash switch or replace it with a blank piece of plastic from a 6th gen that didn't have cruise control.

or, you can do what i did, and use both. for this, i have it set up so that the dash button is always on, and i use the switch on the wheel to engage the cruise system. to do this you have to snip the black/yellow wire coming from the dash buttons connector. make sure you cut it a couple of inches away from the connector, so you can still terminate that end. then you connect the yellow wire from the clock-spring, to the snipped wire that comes from the main harness, and the black wire from the clock-spring to the snipped wire that's still attached to the dash button connector.

for the set and resume wires, i didn't use the old connectors that were already there, and instead used my own.
column ------------------ harness
light green------------light green/red
orange-----------------light green/black

for the backlighting, i piggybacked off the old cruise switch, using Posi-Taps.
column ------------------- harness
gray ----------------------- red/black
red ------------------------ red

after all that, if you got the audio buttons, you should have 2-3 wires left. i had pink, brown and green. for these, you'll have to get a special module so the buttons can communicate with your aftermarket stereo, probably either from idatalink, pac, or axxess.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 AM
Trial User

I have a 96 honda civic hatchback and wanted to know if a 98 civic steering wheel would work in my car. Even all the plugs( horn and airbag)
Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by justinkase72
I have a 96 honda civic hatchback and wanted to know if a 98 civic steering wheel would work in my car. Even all the plugs( horn and airbag)
Since they are the same 6th generation of Civic (96-2000), yes definitely fitment is identical since the steering wheel is identical. Makes sense?

Quick Reply: Resource: What OEM steering wheel fits my car?