Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Relocating Battery

Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Relocating Battery

So I've decided to relocate my battery and was doing research on what are some decent batteries and relocation kits. I was looking at the buddy club batteries but haven't heard much about them. What are some good small scale racing batteries and relocation kits that aren't ridiculously priced? Also I've never done this before so I'm assuming the trunk would be the best place. It's going to be done to my 98 cx hatch.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Relocating Battery

any particular reason you want to use a small "race" battery?

I tried using an
Odyssey PC680 Odyssey PC680
in my integra, as well as my Civic, they didnt fare too well int he winter months. I later changed to a http://www.kinetikpower.com/2009/product.asp?C=1&P=KHC600, it was fine for awhile, but seemed to wear out quickly. It is a battery designed for car audio, so that may be why.

Anyway, I built a custom battery bracket, and attached it to the outside frame rail on the passenger side, its tied into the core support and the bracket itself is removable (to service the battery, etc. I designed it to use a stock size 51R and since doing this, I havent had a single issue with the battery or charging system.

If the car is intended to be driven in all weather, cold, hot, rain, snow, etc I personally wouldnt use a small battery.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I did some research and it all lead to the same conclusion. Use a stock battery. I was considering a smaller battery so it would be easier to hide when I relocate it. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you put it IN the car, you should use a sealed box with proper vents to the outside of the car. I know most people dont, but you should. Just FYI.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I definitely don't plan on putting it in the car. Either in the trunk or by the passenger side frame rail.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pat_Black
I definitely don't plan on putting it in the car. Either in the trunk or by the passenger side frame rail.
keep the weight in the front.
i have mine in the passenger lower fender

also i hate those mini-battery with a passion. Sure they have some cranking power but hardley enough.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For me it wasn't the cranking power, odyssey and the kinetic spun my 12.5:1 b20v just fine, it was their longevity. They seemed to wear out fast, even when they were on a charger/maintainer.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a used optima battery over 6 years ago, with about 3 volts on it, trickle charge it, and I still have that battery in great working order today, about to remove it for a smaller battery to save trunk space. on the other hand before that I had a new one that lasted less than a year. I will switch to OEM battery used in the Goldwing or BMW touring bikes.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Odyssey 680 in the trunk of my integra. It lasted and worked well until after about a yea and half it wouldn't hold charge. I switched to kinetik hc1400 as there site recommends this to be used as a replacement for the starting battery and they said to use a additional hc600 for my system which I don't have so I didn't that one. So far its held up just fine. I used 4 gauge mobil spec audio wire and ran them back up front. Works fine too but I plan to switch to 2 gauge for power and 0 gauge for the ground