Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Question about rod ratio on D16Y8??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rod ratio on D16Y8??????

I am curious about something. Some guys at my job are having trouble figuring out what the the hell I'm talking about when I tell them I have a bad rod ratio in my D16Y8. These are GMC guys and most of them know nothing about Honda. Can you give a pretty descriptive but brief explanation of exactly what the rod ratio is.

They also were curious about shot peening parts. Could you guys explain the process and how it helps your engine.

Thanx alot
Old 11-29-2002, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Question about rod ratio on D16Y8?????? (SILINITY16)

Come on, I know it may be a bs topic but a little curiosity never hurt anybody. I just wanted know this little info.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:22 PM

I think the rod ratio is basically concerned with the length of the connecting rod. if it's really short, you get a good power transfer from the pistons to the crank because it reaches a more horizontal position, but, inflicts more lateral force on your cylinder wall and the crank itself. A long connecting rod doesn't reach nearly as much of a horizontal position, so not as much wear and tear, but less power transfer to the crank. The B20a (88-89 prelude) has longer rods, thats why you don't see many people wanting to do much with that engine. There's a point where rods too short would be detrimental to making power (destroy themselves, the block, the crank, etc.), and where they would be too long to make any power (long life, no go). The perfect rod ratio is the most power transfer with the best longevity. It's like any other performance mod you do to your car really. And shot peening is just a strengthening process. Metal materials usually have microscopic fractures all along their surface, which over time and harsh use (which even a babied engine will see) those cracks will be stressed and possibly grow, giving way to large cracks and thrown rods. With shot peening, the part is shot with a ton of bee-bee type ***** (I really don't know what they are) from all sides. The "bee-bees" impact the surface, "mushing" it together and melding the cracks (kind of like when you bury someone, and they move. The sand cracks. If you pat it with your hand again, the crack disapears because you smashed tha sand back together). No microscopic cracks, less chance of big cracks.
I think thats it. I don't know the details of it all, but I hope I could help. Anyone out there, if you know I'm wrong, please correct me.

[Modified by liquid51, 3:25 AM 11/30/2002]

[Modified by liquid51, 3:51 AM 11/30/2002]
Old 11-30-2002, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Question about rod ratio on D16Y8?????? (liquid51)

That's all the info I need. Thanx alot. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:54 AM

glad I could help.