Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Problem with tranny dip stick in an auto...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with tranny dip stick in an auto...

Im having a problem I hope you guys can help me solve...

I recently installed a D15B VTEC into my g/fs 95 Civic LX (used her stock auto tranny)... All went fine... Shes been driving it about 3 months now no problems... Well lately she has been complaing that its "shifting funny"... And one day when leaving work she said she put it into reverse and it made a weird clunking noise (perhaps grinding Im not sure) and it wouldnt move... So she put it back in park, and back into rev and it drove fine... So when she got home, I went to check it out, and noticed the dip stick wasnt even in the hole all the way! So naturally fluid was all over the place... I go to grab the dip stick and low and behold, the damn thing looks like a shark took a bit into it! It was mangled... And she had to be back to her other job so I had to figure something out ASAP, even if it was a temp solution... So at the advice of her father (I honestly dont know much about auto trannies so I called him up) I cut off the mangled end (which I still have if you need pics to help with diagnosis) with my dremel and put the top back into the hole along with some fluid so no more would leak out... Well this was a few weeks ago, and I honestly neglected it until today she was complaing about it shifting funny again (its been fine since I did that)... So I took a peek and sure enough the damn dip stick was GONE!

So my question is, what could be causing this? Her father mentioned something about pressure and a release valve... But I honestly think whatever hit it before, hit it again even tho I cut off the bottom half of the dip stick...

Any help is appreciated...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problem with tranny dip stick in an auto... (Exempt)

if it was mangled im sure there was a piece of metal floating around now its prolly stuck between one of the valves in the valve body.that would be my guess.u might have to take the pan off and see if u can get the valve body i havent messed with any honda trannys yet srry i couldnt be much more help