Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

possible blown head gasket, symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible blown head gasket, symptoms?

Yes I know this ? has been asked 100's of times, but the symptoms of mine dont quite match up so I need some advice if I have a blown gasket or not.

First off my head was pulled about 2000 miles ago for a head work & a new head gasket was installed. I just changed my oil & am kind of worried it my be blown.

So from my understanding if u have a blown head gasket ur oil will look white-ish, correct?

Well, my oil wasn't white, but I swear it seemed like it had a slight greenish tint to it, that I've never seen before. Maybe I'm just being crazy.
Also, I have & magnetic drain plug & it had metal shavings on it, & it never has before. Although, I assume after the head being off for a week & the head being milled, I guess it's possible some metal could of gotten in there once the head was put back on.

The car didn't burn any oil or lose coolant & the coolant doesn't have oil in it.

So I'm pretty sure everything is fine, but I just wanted some reassurance. Cuz the green tint in the oil freaked me out. But maybe I just imagined it & am being paranoid. Cuz if the oil needs to be white if coolant is in there, then I'm ok, cuz it definatly wasn't white.

Thanks guys
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possible blown head gasket, symptoms? (strsi)

do you have a lot of white smoke coming from your exhaust?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Is this the first time you changed the oil since doing the HG and head work? If so, I wouldn't worry about it for now, you most likely got crap in the oil when you pulled the head. You probably should have changed the oil right after you got the car running to get anything out of there.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possible blown head gasket, symptoms? (Honda Hick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this the first time you changed the oil since doing the HG and head work? If so, I wouldn't worry about it for now, you most likely got crap in the oil when you pulled the head. You probably should have changed the oil right after you got the car running to get anything out of there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ yup....blown hg=overheating, loosing coolant, white smoke, etc.... the only symptom you had was dirty oil. i bet its just dirty from all the work done.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possible blown head gasket, symptoms? (Deckedlude)

ok thanks, thats what I was hopeing for. Yes, the oil was changed right after the head was put back on & before the car was ever started back up, but this is the first time I've changed it since.

So its probably crap that just got in there while the head was off & I should have nothing to worry about unless it looks like this again next time I change my oil?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just keep an eye on your temps bc sometimes you can blow a hg without really blowing it fully to noticed any extreme symptoms
Old 04-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possible blown head gasket, symptoms? (Deckedlude)

ok, so if it's blown it will over heat enough to sometimes be noticable on the stock temp gauge?