Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Pistons, Rods, Compression Ratios, ARP studs & Fuel

Old 10-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pistons, Rods, Compression Ratios, ARP studs & Fuel

I'm going to be completing my LS or B20 buildup (depending on if I end up swapping blocks with a friend who is going turbo) and I need to decide what I'm going to do for the bottom end.

1st - Pistons. I'm thinking of going with Endyn's Rollerwave pistons, 0.5mm over (81.5mm if I keep my LS, 84.5 if I get the b20). Would you recommend JE, SRP, Wesico, or other brands? For what reason?

2nd - Rods. I figure going with Eagle is a sure bet. Some feel stock are fine but I feel better going with Eagle rods. Any opinions?

3rd - CR. I am running crower 62404 cams, similar to an ITR vtec profile. I may consider also putting in a "race only" 405 intake cam which has 30t more lift and about 30deg more duration. I've got very good headwork and will also be upgrading to a custom short runner intake manifold paired with my Comptech USA 4-2-1 ITR header. Si or Crower valves will be installed during the buildup as well of course with a 3 angle valve job. I have readily available 94 octane fuel in my area. I believe that more is better and I should go for around 11.5-12:1.
- Will that be too high or too low or just right? I'd like to hear opinions judging on the rest of my setup. Does higher compression make an engine run lumpier or smoother?

4th - ARP head studs. I'm not too sure if most all motor guys go with ARP stuff but I guess its insurance thats not worth risking. Or do you feel stock is fine?

5th - Fuel. Will I need larger injectors with this type of power (I am expecting at least 170-180whp with the LS, 190-200whp with the b20, I don't want to start hearing ANY flames). I read some people saying get a bigger fuel pump, some say stock is fine, if you need more fuel go with better injectors. I've already got an FPR, should an S-AFC do fine for tuning or is a hondata absolutely necessary for a motor of this type?

Thanks for all the input, I feel we can make this a very informative thread to be used in the future.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons, Rods, Compression Ratios, ARP studs & Fuel (teg92)

i am currently runnign a very similar setup,

fyi- endyns pistons are weisco pistons that have had some hand work done on them

Eagle rods are definatly a good value, go for them

11.5- 12 should be fine, im running some where between 11.3 to 11.5 to 1 on 93/ 94 octane and its fine

i would agree that arp's are a must

stock injectors should be fine, but if you want you could go up to 270cc and run a little lower pressure

i am also finding that this kind of setup will run fairly well on a stock ecu, but right now i have the cams set straight up(crower 403), i am definatly going to go with a hondata system when i get it tuned

feel free to im me if you have any more questions
Old 10-15-2002, 08:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) The rollerwaves are supposed to be good, Jeff at importbuilders claims to have a better variation of the modified Wiseco piston for sale at similar prices, I'd check that out too. I like Wiseco's silicon content, I think they offer about the best comprimise for a street driven setup.

2) Eagle ESP rods...Mine should get here tomorrow...'nuff said?

3) C/R I I think 11.5 - 12:1 is an excellent target. I'm aiming for 11.7:1 w/ stock gasket myself. If you go with the larger intake cam you may want to aim higher on your compression as you'll lose a bit more dynamically. Use this to compute losses. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/comprAdvHD.htm

4) I think you're right about where I'd consider ARP studs. Yeah or nay depending on how high you go with the compression & revs.

5) I suspect you'll start running into fuel issues when you're done. I'd definately get the Hondata, I just got my S200 and it is easily worth what I paid, perhaps the best $$$ I've spent on my car yet. If you do get the Hondata, when you tune it you can have a peak at injector duty cycle, and determine then if larger injectors will be necessary.

Good luck bro.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen the wiseco ones and they are nice.... roller waves are only rebadged wisecos so either way your good there and i think you got the cr right on

rods eagles or look into the probe ultralight rods from importbuilders if you goin n/a

i dont really think the valves would be a huge deal the most i would recommend would be new intake valves

arp head studs i dont think you need them but if you can afford the 100 bux the by all means... cause it certainly wont hurt

id say 270cc's or 310's..... just putting in my b20 with stock cams and everything i had to raise pressure up to 45psu from 35... if i kept it at 35 psi i woulda needed 270's... this is with a stock b20 and your runnin a modded b18/b20

go to rc engineerings website, since you know the target HP you can calculate the amount fuel needed (psi and cc's)

and your right on with the power btw with 405a's id expect 180ish and 200 is possible with a b20 or 84 mm ls

oh and higher cr will make the long duration cams idle better.. so will a ported head and intake mani

i would say hondata for sure btw