Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

PCV Valve Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 PCV Valve Questions

Hello folks, I had a question about replacing the PCV valve on my 2006 Accord Coupe 2.4l.

I want to replace it but while searching for replacement parts, I came across two types of 'PCV valves.'

One that looks like a metallic straight component. And one that looks like an L-shaped black plastic component (or at least plastic covered).

1. Am I correct in understanding that these go on either ends of the hose or are they the same component just different designs?
2. Should I replace both if they are different components?
3. I want to use original components, is Hondapartsnow.com the best bet?
4. Are the part numbers common across all Honda vehicles or are they specific to the 06 Accord?

I think I stumbled upon this part number 17130-PND-A01 but I saw some other part numbers too. (like this one 17130PK1003 : Honda OEM PCV Valve 17130PK1003 | eBay)

I'm looking here right now http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-PND-A01.html. Is this the cheapest place to get the genuine part?

Any help really appreciated!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: PCV Valve Questions

Provided you put in the correct model and trim you can rest assure the Honda website is going to be correct over the ebay listing.

You can always check hondapartscheap and hondaautomotiveparts as well
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not buy a PCV valve for a car newer than model year 2000 at a parts store, unless you know what your PCV valve looks like, and the picture they provide matches. Most PCV valves today are very application-specific, and should only be sourced from a dealership, if you require it.

These valves can usually be cleaned out and reused. The only real need to replace them is if there is so much gunk that cannot be cleaned out of the valve that it sticks open or closed. The PCV valves most susceptible to this are those that are allowed to freeze in cold weather. These are prominent on 1995 and older vehicles. Nearly every modern car has a heated PCV valve to prevent freezing.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Provided you put in the correct model and trim you can rest assure the Honda website is going to be correct over the ebay listing.

You can always check hondapartscheap and hondaautomotiveparts as well
Thanks. I ended up ordering this 17130-PND-A01 from hondapartsnow.com : 17130-PND-A01 - Genuine Honda Valve Assy., PCv

It came to about $25. I little pricey but hopefully should last the life of the car.

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
Do not buy a PCV valve for a car newer than model year 2000 at a parts store, unless you know what your PCV valve looks like, and the picture they provide matches. Most PCV valves today are very application-specific, and should only be sourced from a dealership, if you require it.

These valves can usually be cleaned out and reused. The only real need to replace them is if there is so much gunk that cannot be cleaned out of the valve that it sticks open or closed. The PCV valves most susceptible to this are those that are allowed to freeze in cold weather. These are prominent on 1995 and older vehicles. Nearly every modern car has a heated PCV valve to prevent freezing.
I thought about reusing it but at $25 shipped, I thought I'd just replace it considering it should go on almost forever.