Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket

I just change the oil pan gasket cause it was leaking. It's still leaking after i installed a new one. I'm thinking i man have tighten the bolts up too tight. Is it too late to loosen up the bolt now, do i need another new gasket? How tight are you really suppose to tighten it?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket (JFG Kevin)

have you tried to leave the car on jack stands and let the car run to see where it is coming from?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket (especiale)

It is VERY easy to split that gasket from over-tightening if you get wrench-happy, it's only like 7ft-lbs for those bolts. Bummer, but it's highly probable that you split it.

Are you positive that it is coming from the oil pan, and not running down the block from somewhere else?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket (Lewdin' Incognito)

yah...i'm positive...it's leaking all over around the seal...nowhere else..and yes i left the car on jacks to see where it's coming from...When installin a oil pan gasket...When do you know to stop?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket (JFG Kevin)

torque wrench
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a torque wrench from sears, its cost 60 or something BUT IT S WORTH IT!

did you use the gasket liquid to seal it?
what car do you have? i did mine (00 civic ex.) no problem with mine.
i have the spec torque at home and instruction. if you need, hit me up IM>
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (polything)

I have a torque wrench..but it doesn't go down to that small amount...But what liquid are you talkin about?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually use a generous amount of Hondabond/silicone gasket maker when installing oilpan gaskets, and they never leak. I would suggest you clean both the pan and block mating surfaces thoroughly, and then apply a liberal amount of silicone to both before reinstalling the pan(and gasket) and torquing the nuts and bolts. Also, the gasket should have metal washers/spacers embedded in it on the tranny side. Sometimes those things will come loose and may remain stuck to the block when you pull the old gasket off. If you overlook them and place a new gasket over them, they'll cause a leak(experienced this firsthand). Other than that, Hondabond, clean surfaces, and the proper torque are your best friends. If you don't have a torque wrench, just choke up on your ratchet handle(less leverage) and use light pressure when tightening the fasteners.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I usually use a generous amount of Hondabond/silicone gasket maker when installing oil pan gaskets, and they never leak. I would suggest you clean both the pan and block mating surfaces thoroughly, and then apply a liberal amount of silicone to both before reinstalling the pan(and gasket) and torquing the nuts and bolts. Also, the gasket should have metal washers/spacers embedded in it on the tranny side. Sometimes those things will come loose and may remain stuck to the block when you pull the old gasket off. If you overlook them and place a new gasket over them, they'll cause a leak(experienced this firsthand). Other than that, Hondabond, clean surfaces, and the proper torque are your best friends. If you don't have a torque wrench, just choke up on your ratchet handle(less leverage) and use light pressure when tightening the fasteners.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the honda bond is only needed in the corners of the pan not all over the place. did you check and make sure if the metal collar from the old pan gasket ? look at your old gasket and in the corners and the middle. if the gasket is real old high milage they tend to stick to the studs on the block..