Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

OBX Fuel Rails Suck Ass

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBX Fuel Rails Suck ***

I searched the archives for info on OBX fuel rails but couldn't find anything other than people saying "I don't see how OBX can screw up something as simple as a fuel rail." But, as always, OBX creates another piece of crap product just when we think they've done something right.

So first off, the fuel inlet fitting broke off. Just look at it - look how off center the bore is - no wonder it broke. And the fitting isn't even stainless steel. It's electroplated brass.

Also, the rail is made out of some sort of aluminum/pot metal mix. It's definitely not CNC'd from a solid piece of aluminum like the AEM rails. And it's not anodized, I'm not even sure how the finish is applied. Doesn't look painted. Either way, the rail is probably made out of recycled soda cans. That and crap.

Oh, and for those wondering, I use an AEM rail. I just bought this OBX rail (with broken fitting) for $10 to make this post. I'm going to replace the broken fitting with an OEM fitting and sell it back on ebay.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:05 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, note to self:
OBX LSD is good
OBX Skunk2 manifold knock-off - good
OBX fuel rail, exhaust, turbo manifolds, and everything else - bad.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (slomofo)

Yeah, I flip-flop over the OBX lsd just about every day.

But if you think about it, everytime we think we've found OBX making a good product, it always turns out to be bad. It's just our human nature to seek out the cheapest product so we can't stop gravitating towards OBX.

But seriously, if they can't get something as simple as a fuel rail right, how can they make a good differential?

The situation is simple - the company makes knock-off products that are cheaper in price and quality. That's how they turn a profit. So if the whole company is based on lowering price and quality, why would they suddenly make a high quality part? That's just not how the company works.

I think we all just want to believe in the idea of a $375 Quaife so badly that we won't come to terms with the fact that OBX is no good. In our hearts, we all know the truth.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: (EnzoSpeed)

Yeah thats why I went with the XS power intake manifold. **** that ssauto **** and obx junk!!! lol
Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (egizzle8)

i had the same thing happen w/ a STR fuel rail.. . .
Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re:

It kinda looks like it was tightned too much and started streching the fitting or something..
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Re: (tgreaves)

Before we start bashing OBX again lets take some issues into consideration. We all know the pricing is very cheap for these products that look decent but may not perform to our standards. Being able to sell a product this cheap is very hard to do in the USA due to manufacturing costs which is why the OBX products are made in China or Taiwan. Quality control and materials being used are the main reasons for failures. I'm sure if you bought 10 of the fuel rails and looked at the fittings, that you would see that some may be drilled off center and some may be drilled centered. If you are on a budget and don't plan to go too fast then some of the OBX products will work. If this is for a racecar I would highly suggest to stay away from anything related to OBX as you have no idea if the product you received came from a good or bad batch of product. Why would we risk 15-20K race motors and our own personal safety with cheap maufactured products. We can't expect OBX differentials to hold 800HP reliably and efficiently at the price they are selling at. I am in no way affiliated with OBX nor do I use any product made by them. I just wanted to voice my opinion on this issue because I have been seeing alot of complaints and failures with these products. I'm sure in the future somebody will be using an OBX product that will fail and do massive damage to the motor and possible injuries to the individual may occur. I really don't want to see this happen but when low quality products like this hit the market something bad is bound to happen.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slomofo)

i have been running a full catback exhaust from obx for over 2 years now and i love it. its not a loud obnoxious sound, it is holding up very well and with some cleaner every once and a wile the stainless looks new.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stoned_sol)

Has anyone tried their cam gears?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: OBX Fuel Rails Suck *** (EnzoSpeed)

dont they sell obx at like tint shops i had an obx header and it broke at the collector when i hit a speedbump