Not Another AWD Civic Project!!! - Page 16 - Honda-Tech

Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #376
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

tony_2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #377
Honda-Tech Member

nice times! ill def keep an eye on this thread.
PhiLLyMYdiLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #378
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Might as well upgrade to better axles instead of wasting money on replacing boots. I dunno how many times you wanna go down there and I'm sure you want to "forget" it after replacing them. Your decision.
Kind of my thought process as well and that's what I ended up doing. Yeah, I am getting sick of replacing boots. Every time I have to replace a boot I eather have to drop the rear diff, or pretty much remove the entire rear trailing arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeExpert View Post
For lower power Hondas, lots of us use Duralast axles at Autozone with a lifetime warranty, sometimes they're as low as 50$ an axle (new, not reman). If you're spending 25$ per single boot, for 50$ you could get a whole new CV axle opposed to just rubber boots. That's something you may wanna consider. 25$ for a rubber or neoprene boot seems high.
I think the lowest I was finding them locally was around $70 and axle. It was a thought, but you also have to turn in cores to get them at that price. $140 and give them the Honda OEM axles just didn't sound like a good deal. I want to keep the stockers just in case I need them and I wouldn't be very happy if I was breaking Duralast specials and having to replace them all of the time. I know it's more money for the Insane Shafts, but nothing like DSS prices. This way I get to keep the OEM axles as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
The Insane Shafts axles are very nice pieces but I'm not sure if there's really any difference between those and OEM or even AutoZone CV boots. They're basically just little rubber covers after all.
Actually the boots on the Insane shafts feel a bit thicker, so I'm hoping they stand up to the test. The axles themselves don't look like much. Hopefully they are made out of unobtainium or something, because the diameter of the shafts are slightly smaller than the OEMs. I haven't opened up the CV boots to look inside, but noting on the outside looks special about them. Guess we will find out. The stock axles (CV joints and shafts) were standing up to all of the power and abuse just fine, so if I start breaking axles now... Not going to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLLyMYdiLLy View Post
nice times! ill def keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks, and do. I'm looking to make some adjustments and improve on those times very soon.
DarryCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #379
Honda-Tech Member

Put about 80 miles on the Instane Shafts this past weekend. Got a couple of launches in too with the E85 fuel and tune. Everything seems to be holding together with them. There is still plenty of room for the axle shafts, even with 1/2" extra length on them. The boots seem to be holding up well thus far too. I'll post up some comparison pics of the axles here soon. I did find a leak coming from the left front of the car when I got home from the drive. Found my left front wheel was all wet too. Apperently I started leaking brake fluid at some point in the drive. That is a scary thought. Thought it was a brake line, but turns out I have a seal leaking from one of the pistons in the Brembo caliper. Have to pull it back apart
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #380
Honda-Tech Member

Grrr.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #381
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarryCar View Post
I think the lowest I was finding them locally was around $70 and axle. It was a thought, but you also have to turn in cores to get them at that price. $140 and give them the Honda OEM axles just didn't sound like a good deal. I want to keep the stockers just in case I need them and I wouldn't be very happy if I was breaking Duralast specials and having to replace them all of the time. I know it's more money for the Insane Shafts, but nothing like DSS prices. This way I get to keep the OEM axles as well..
With advance auto you no longer need a core when you 1st buy.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #382
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
With advance auto you no longer need a core when you 1st buy.
Huh, good to know.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #383
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the Insane Shafts compared to the OEMs. The OEMs actually look longer, but they are not. It's just with the boots being stretched out they look this way. Insane Shafts only offers rear axles for the CR-V in the 02-06 model. They have a slightly wider track then the first gen CR-Vs, so the axles are 1/2" longer each. Because of where I positioned my rear diff, I have plenty of room to run these axles without them binding up. The axle shafts of the OEMs are just a hair thicker than the Insane Shafts. That's about the only notable difference as far as appearance. So far the boots are holding up. Haven't driven it much with the front caliper leaking though, so I need to fix that before I can put any more miles on the Civic.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #384
Trial User

Great job done ������������
talebctg is offline   Reply With Quote