Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Noises Power Steering At Start-Up - Please Help

Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises Power Steering At Start-Up - Please Help

Hello,
New to the group, but not cars; ever heard of "Chip Foose"? I trained with his father "Sam Fosse" at Mel's Body and Fender in Santa Barbara.
You "car guys" know the Brilliance of Chip Foose; his Dad, Sam taught me enough that I was able to pay for a portion of my University Education to become a doctor.
I have a 2005 Honda Accord, V6, 75,853 miles love it, but suddenly the "power stearing is noisy at start up; but not all the time; and the noise goes away after warm up; a 1 mile drive and no noise till the next day?
Will your folks help me with a "diagnosis" and or thoughts for repair; anticipated cost, etc.
I have developed "Propriety Proactive Natural Immunotherapy Protocols" for most all diseases and for rapid rehabilitation; as well as methods for athletes.
I am living on "Social Security" due to the AMA and Pharmaceutical Attacks thus have very little $$ for repair.

To get an idea of this my website is: AQUADIOS Hydrology by Dr. Alan Jensen and videos found at AQUADIOS Hydrology by Dr. Alan Jensen

My research shows that these "Proactive Protocols" can save lives and decrease annual Health Care Costs by about $500 Billion;
The Pharmaceutical companies have made me an enemy because they do not want to loose those $$$ Billions.
Look forward to a "fix" on the "Power Steering"
Thank and Happy-Safe Holidays - New Year.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Noises Power Steering At Start-Up - Please Help

the noise is caused by the fluid being too thick due to being so cold. Which means either the fluid simply needs to be replaced with fresh stuff, or the pump is actually struggling so much with the thick fluid that it's sucking air in through the shaft seal. or combination of both these things.

If you're capable, I would immediately go straight to just replacing all the seals in the pump. That will eliminate air being sucked in. 12 and 13 in the attached diagram from Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store are where air can get sucked in, but to access 12 you need to strip the whole pump so you'll need to replace 14 15 16 and 17 as well.

After you've done the above, run the car for a few minutes to get the fluid all working through the system again. Go buy 4 bottles of power steering fluid from your store of choice, but make absolutely sure it says FOR HONDA on the bottle. if it doesn't say it's for hondas, don't buy it. I personally prefer prestone or genuine honda PS fluid. Then drive around for a bit with lots of low speed turning bringing the wheel turned far in both directions multiple times to get the fluid nice and warm and stirred up good. Get a buddy to help you out. With the engine off and the cap removed from the PS reservoir, remove one of the hoses from the reservoir that comes from the rack, and cap the port on the reservoir quickly to not spill fluid all over. Get a large jug and stick the disconnected hose into the jug. Have the new bottles of fluid ready to pour, caps and seals removed. Have your buddy start the car and turn the wheel back and forth. as the reservoir drains, fill it with the new fluid. The jug will start filling up with old fluid. Do it quickly, it goes fast. As soon as you've emptied the 3rd bottle, have your buddy shut the engine off. Reconnect the hose, start the car, turn the wheel from lock to lock, and use the 4th bottle to top off the reservoir to the correct level. Done, drink a nice adult beverage.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, I need to add this: Some ps pump pulley nuts are reverse thread, but not all. So look very closely at it to make sure you know which direction to turn the nut to loosen it. You don't want to snap the shaft because you went the wrong direction.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

motoxxxman,

Thank you for your superlative response;
In summary your diagnosis is:
over time the seals -gaskets have hardened [worn] and allowed air to enter the system;
the seals - gaskets must be replaced as does the power steering fluid;
replacing the fluid is a "critical step" as is Honda PSF;

Not sure I can handle the job myself, limited tools, but I'll look it over closely and If I have the tools I'll proceed per you instructions.

Do you have an idea of the approximate Cost of the parts?
About how long will this task take?

Feel free to respond to thread here;
My direct email is: dr.jensen@aquadios.com
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to rebuild a power steering pump it takes me about 1 hour start to finish from engine running to engine running. I've done it about 5 times now though. my first time took me around 2-3 hours because I was overly careful to keep everything clean and spent extra time examining how all the parts worked.
I've never needed any special tools, always did it with simple hand tools, cleaned the parts with brake cleaner and a toothbrush, and put a light coating of grease on all the seals/orings during assembly. It's a pretty easy process. The only trick is what I mentioned above of determining if the pulley nut is normal thread or reverse thread. and loosen the nut before anything, because the belt will hold it from spinning if it's the first thing you do. and thread the nut on by hand before putting the belt on, then once the belt is on tighten the nut to spec
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motoxxxman

Thanks for your post.
Some Honda folks say simply replacing the "O" Ring will fix the problem.
Your thoughts
Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you confirmed noise is from the pump itself and not the belt or someplace else? 94
Old 12-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, definitely the PS unit, but only when cold, travel 4 miles and it's gone.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank all of you for your input; I decided to go with the "E-Z" Fix: Replace the "O" Ring.

Installed new PS "O" Ring [$1.89] and the PS is "like new" quiet as a church mouse.

The "Honda Stealer" wanted $240.00 to rebuild PS Unit, may have included new belt.

Thanks again -- Great way to end 2016 [could not afford cost of rebuild unless I did the work myself].

Now, If someone can HELP to figure out how to splice my "Spoiler" Brake Light to the existing wiring loom I'd be most appreciative.
[Removed "Spoiler" from my wrecked 2005 Accord] cut the Brake Light Wiring Loom [pig tail] with about 2 feet of :brake light wires].

Happy New Year!!