Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Newb need help - 02 civic sir code p0453 - fuel tank pressure sensor high voltage.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:10 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb need help - 02 civic sir code p0453 - fuel tank pressure sensor high voltage.

I am a noob to the civic world and need a little help. I bought recently an EP3 civic sir with the check engine light on, the guy said it needed a new emission control module but after doing some digging around I have found this to be a load of rubbish.

After I reset the ECM/ECU/PCM or whatever other name it has the fault goes away for a little while could be a day or an hour. then comes back on. but when it does it throws up two codes at the same time.

p0453 fuel tank pressure sensor high voltage.
p1298 Electrical load detector over voltage.

now I assume the 1298 code is because the ftp sensor is drawing to high a voltage for normal operation which is actually meaning the eld is doing its job and working ok as its detecting this fault.

can anyone shed some light or has anyone had any experience with this.

I went through the workshop manual as much as I could and the wiring seems to be fine.

Could something else that is broken cause this fault.

also I have noticed that when I unscrew the gas cap there is no pressure release would this have anything to do with that.

Many thanks in advance folks.

Charlie
Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newb need help - 02 civic sir code p0453 - fuel tank pressure sensor high voltage

Have you contacted the dealer and see if there are any recalls?

Google the code and see if there is any more info on the code/fixes.

There is something for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newb need help - 02 civic sir code p0453 - fuel tank pressure sensor high voltage

contacted the dealer and they gave nothing away other than they need to investigate.

I will have to do some more research my self as there is very little on this on the internet, as soon as I get it all fixed I will let you know.