Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

NEED HELP!!! 96 accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!! 96 accord

So I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, if not please move. Anyway, I have a 1996 accord lx 2.2, it's got about 200000 miles. I bought it about a year and half ago, when I bought is the check engine light was on for code p1382(cylinder position sensor), I replaced the distributor and it ran great for about 12,000 miles then the light came back and it started chugging, replaced the distributor under warranty and ran great for a few months. Now the light is back on again and I'm really getting tired of having to keep replacing distributors, does anyone have any idea why that sensor keeps going bad? I had the crank position sensor replaced about 8 months ago and that didn't seem help any thing. I also had the ignition coil replaced twice as well. I'm seriously out of ideas, if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP!!! 96 accord

stop buying low quality distributors?
seriously, the lower cost parts store distributors are prone to failure almost perfectly when the warranty expires.

also, is any of the plastic missing from under the car? are there any holes in the hood? do you wash your engine ever? any moisture in the distributor can damage the sensors, especially in a non-honda distributor.

and when is the last time you cleaned and tightened all the ground wires? bad grounds can cause all sorts of issues, including false diagnostics by the ecu, and damage to perfectly good sensors.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
stop buying low quality distributors?
seriously, the lower cost parts store distributors are prone to failure almost perfectly when the warranty expires.

also, is any of the plastic missing from under the car? are there any holes in the hood? do you wash your engine ever? any moisture in the distributor can damage the sensors, especially in a non-honda distributor.

and when is the last time you cleaned and tightened all the ground wires? bad grounds can cause all sorts of issues, including false diagnostics by the ecu, and damage to perfectly good sensors.
I bought the Cardone Select through Rockauto. I thought they were a good brand? Well its got a lifetime warranty so thats good lol.

After thinking about more, i seem to remember the light coming on after/during heavy rain. As far as i know all the covers are still in place under the car, and the hood is solid. So my problem seems to be moisture related?

I have never checked any of the ground wires. Where are they all located? Kind of off topic but, i have heard that upping the gauge of the ground wires(and wire from the alternator) helps...things, is that true?(i can't remember exactly what they said it does) Any additional help would be GREALY appreciated!!!! thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 12:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's more likely you have a loose wire in the harness near the connectors or perhaps the internal of the connector is corroded or dirty. You need to test for continuity from the connector pin back to the pin at the ecu connector and then start wiggling things around and see if you lose continuity. It's for things like this that a multimeter with a beep function for continuity comes in handy.