Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

mcmaster carr bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcmaster carr bolts

i recently discovered mcmaster.com it looks like a great place. i want to order bolts for my honda from there

i really don't need any bolts right now, but i want to get this research done now for in the future when i do more work to the suspension.

so what i'm looking at right now is the LCA+TA bolt (honda part# 90173-SR3-003)

would this bolt be the best replacement that mcmaster has to offer? McMaster-Carr

i actually want stainless, i don't know much about black phosphate.. isn't it the same as your standard zinc coating? i don't want zinc because i hear galvanic corrosion is a real problem.

can anyone link me to a good place to do some reading about the different strength grades and general fastener/bolt knowledge
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mcmaster carr bolts

Originally Posted by dodt
i recently discovered mcmaster.com it looks like a great place. i want to order bolts for my honda from there

i really don't need any bolts right now, but i want to get this research done now for in the future when i do more work to the suspension.

so what i'm looking at right now is the LCA+TA bolt (honda part# 90173-SR3-003)

would this bolt be the best replacement that mcmaster has to offer? McMaster-Carr

i actually want stainless, i don't know much about black phosphate.. isn't it the same as your standard zinc coating? i don't want zinc because i hear galvanic corrosion is a real problem.

can anyone link me to a good place to do some reading about the different strength grades and general fastener/bolt knowledge
300 series Stainless is weak material . . . its strength is basically on par with low carbon steel and is not sufficient for anything other than ornamental bolts or bolts that you need with no strength consideration.

Black phosphate has marginal resistance to rust . . . its used primarily for the bolts to not rust between the manufacturer and the end user. If you don't get them wet or use them in a moist atmosphere it will do okay but it isn't any serious type of rust resistance.

Zinc-chromate plating is intended for rust prevention and is the only real consideration for a bolt covering material of the three, especially when it will be used outdoors.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

McMaster is great, but I would not buy anything other than OEM for suspension bolts. So much stress and fatigue conditions I personally would not want to select an improper grade. Might be strong enough, but if too brittle it's still gonna break. Plus, there's quality control issues.

If you're worried about corrosion, slather it up with anti seize.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1.25 thread pitch on Honda bolts. Also note how the Honda bolts have a pointed tip. It will help for installation.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Atomic1
McMaster is great, but I would not buy anything other than OEM for suspension bolts. So much stress and fatigue conditions I personally would not want to select an improper grade. Might be strong enough, but if too brittle it's still gonna break. Plus, there's quality control issues.

If you're worried about corrosion, slather it up with anti seize.
my idea was to do some research and get the strongest and best bolts mcmaster sells (better than honda's)

when i say best i mean ones that wont rest or corrode. strongest of course so they don't break when it comes time to take them back out after they've seized in after years

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
1.25 thread pitch on Honda bolts. Also note how the Honda bolts have a pointed tip. It will help for installation.
all honda bolts are 1.25 pitch? that's good to know.. thanks

yea i like how that bolt has the pointed tip, but not all honda bolts are like that. mcmaster doesn't sell any like that do they? i was looking at their flange head bolts but they didn't list up to 80mm length ones. maybe they do custom orders if you contact them?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the inside surfaces of the bushing collars that rust more than the bolts IMHO, what you gonna do, get stainless bushings? Even if you get a bolt with infinite strength, a seized bushing collar is going to tear the bushing and spin before it lets go of the bolt shaft.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure they will do a custom order, probably a 500 or 1000 minimum....

the honda bolts are WAY stronger than they need to be. its easier to buy new bolts from the dealer than it is to re-invent the wheel.