Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

LS-Vtec vs. GS-r parts ID?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-Vtec vs. GS-r parts ID?

Hey guys,
I just bought a '98 Civic with the LS-Vtec conversion in it. The owner had NO idea what the car is or has in it (he is a non-racer who bought the car from a dealership, two years ago).
I have never owned an LS-Vtec before, and would like to know what parts are most important to this build, and if there is ANY way that I can visually verify whether this motor has those parts?
For instance, I know that there is a girdle on the mains of a GS-r motor, and that it should have a GS-r oil-pump, to activate the Vtec, but I don't know if there is any way to verify that these parts are there...
Can anyone tell me what the most important parts that SHOULD be used are, and if I can verify any of them, without removing the whole motor?

Also, how can I verify that the Vtec is engaging?
How many rpms should I run, not knowing what's in the motor?

A little background for the car:
What parts I CAN see: B18A1 Block, DOHC Vtec head, w/oil pressure sensor, Vtec solenoid, etc. DC headers and 2.5" exhaust (no fart-can, thank God), Fuel-pressure gauge under the hood, Adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, LS 5-speed, etc.

The car also has front strut brace (the owner threw-away the rear brace b/c the spare tire wouldn't fit on top the trunk tray with it installed, LOL) factory struts and other suspension (from what I can tell on the ground, and again the owner removed and tossed the other struts and coil-overs, b/c he said it sat too low ).

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-Vtec vs. GS-r parts ID?

if the motor runs clean and no driveability issues or warning lights...Change the fluids and rev it to your hearts delight. Thats exactly what Honda engines were DESIGNED TO DO...Sing.
VTEC should engage around 5k. You will notice for sure on any DOHC motor. Engine goes from a medium rumble to screaming.

Welcome to hot rod honda ownership. The LS VTEC is a long stroke torquey motor with a strong top end in vtec. LS has taller gears than gsr and itr. Sad about the suspension. at least its at a good starting point. stock and unbroken.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!
It does have a SES light on, and the idle surges between 1100-1500 rpm, but I am sure the motor is sound, no smoke, ticks, knocks, etc.
I will start looking for the problems (in my free time) and knocking them down.
It was too good a deal to pass, as all the other b18s I have seen for around 2- 2 1/2 grand were in total junk bodies, and this one is rust-free, with a mixed-bag body-kit. It has some small dents and dings, but nothing too embarrassing to drive, LOL!

Any idea what mileage or performance a guy might expect? Best parts to add, etc?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know some of you guys can help identify these parts...Maybe it would help if people could SEE the parts that I have? I have a few in my member photos now, too.
Here is the url-
98 Civic LS-Vtec Photos by z28john | Photobucket