Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

metal shaving around axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal shaving around axle

As title reads, I found some super fine metal shaving wrapped around inner most part axle (going into the transmission) like I ran over a tiny brill-o pad. Is my diff toast or maybe the teeth on cv axle itself? There weren't too many other signs of problems except I notice slight loss of power during boost. Its a turbo crx with a mf lsd. Of course the axle nut is stuck beyond belief, I tried a breaker bar with a 7' fence post attached to it and stood on it after I soaked it heated it etc. I couldn't get a good picture either. If anyone has a suggestion, thanks.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: metal shaving around axle

I would think it would be difficult for metal shavings from the diff itself to get through the axle seal, unless your seal is also leaking a lot of fluid...

If seal is intact, then it's probably from the axle, or something else external to the transmission.

Drain the trans fluid and it should tell you if something is wrong inside.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slagman
As title reads, I found some super fine metal shaving wrapped around inner most part axle (going into the transmission) like I ran over a tiny brill-o pad. Is my diff toast or maybe the teeth on cv axle itself? There weren't too many other signs of problems except I notice slight loss of power during boost. Its a turbo crx with a mf lsd. Of course the axle nut is stuck beyond belief, I tried a breaker bar with a 7' fence post attached to it and stood on it after I soaked it heated it etc. I couldn't get a good picture either. If anyone has a suggestion, thanks.
As far trying to remove the axle nut, when I need to do that, I just remove as much of the indentation on the nut as possible, and then use a 1/2" electric impact wrench, and it comes off OK. I use a torque wrench when attaching the nut, but the electric impact wrench to remove it. - Jim
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, yeah I'm going to drain the gear oil again although I didn't see anything the first time. I did try an impact wrench. Maybe not enough psi. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy actually putting it in gear and giving it gas while the car was on ramps and breaker bar attached... The wheel pushes the wrench into the ground and pops the nut. Only if I'm real desperate I'll try that. Hate to have to buy a new knuckle.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slagman
Thanks, yeah I'm going to drain the gear oil again although I didn't see anything the first time. I did try an impact wrench. Maybe not enough psi. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy actually putting it in gear and giving it gas while the car was on ramps and breaker bar attached... The wheel pushes the wrench into the ground and pops the nut. Only if I'm real desperate I'll try that. Hate to have to buy a new knuckle.
Actually, when I said electric impact, I really meant battery powered - 1/2" Bosch. It takes a few seconds, but the nut does come off with it.
- Jim
Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so drain plug is totally clean, me thinks its the axle seal which looks completely shot. There must be some metal element in the seal. This may also be one of the reasons why I have so much oil everywhere and on the under body. looks like a metallic hairball