Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.?

**Please read.... My questions on top and the story of MyRoadRunner/Honda below the questions**

1.) Is it bad or good if my fuse box is clicking when turning the switch over all the way.?
2.) How can I tell if my main relay fuse is bad.?
3.) Could the main relay fuse cause the fuel pump && all the lights to act crazy, if it is bad.?
4.) Why could my dashlights and cigarette lighter not work.?

I have a 92' Honda Civic LX 5 speed with a D16y7. My Husband && I just did rebuild this car. We swopped it from a D15 to a D16 "this problem was happening before the D15 blew up". Anyways, most of the time when I turn my ignition switch over, the fuel pump doesn't click on. I bought a new fuel pump after I bought the car, and it still wasn't clicking on. So I took it back and got another new one, still did the same(2 brand spanking new fuel pumps). Some people told me it was the fuel pump. In which I don't really believe.! Others told me it may-be the main relay switch under the dash. We've checked all fuses, and they're all good. Eventhough when you put your head under the dash by the fuse box and you turn the switch on all the way you can clearly hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse box to right around that main relay fuse. We can't determine if the main relay fuse is bad. The only time my engine light comes on is when you can't hear the fuel pump click on, then when the engine light comes on and goes right back off, it'll crank and run. After it cranks back up, you can smell some gas fumes for a few minutes. Almost like it takes a few minutes to circulate. Also sense the fuse box started clicking-stuff on my car is quitting for example; dashlights never worked, cigarette lighter went out, tale && tag lights went out, && more importantly my cooling fans quit working also. My Husband, straight wired all the stuff I listed above and most are working now just not the right way(can't figure out how to get the dashlights or cigarette lighter to work). Besides that though, it runs great; pulls hills, has all it's speed, don't burn oil, and more great stuff.

-P.S.
In need of some advice, so please share some with us, lol.! && Sorry, I love to ask questions and talk/learn about my Honda "if you can't tell already, lol".
Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.

FAQ : How To Test Your Honda Main Relay - My Pro Street

Theres actually quite a few articles if you google honda main relay test

You could also just test voltage at the fuel pump, when you first switch the key on it should have voltage for about 5 seconds, always try easy things first and test, start with the basics, never just start buying parts unless you know for sure thats the problem. You also could feed voltage directly to the fuel pump momentarily I say your pump is good sounds like a wiring issue
Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.

It sounds like you have a short or ground problem. Check the thermostat housing ground and make sure it's clean and tight.

The mail relay has two powers going to it. A yellow that is hot at all times and a black/yellow that is ignition power. The black wire is ground to thermostat housing. The green/yellow is the trigger from the Ecu. The yellow/black is power out to Ecu. The yellow/green is power out to fuel pump.

My guess cause of all the other issues you have is a wiring problem some where. Either some thing isn't plugged in or plugged in to the wrong thing. There could be multi bad fuses or fuses that aren't there when they should be. Could all so be a ground that's not connected. Last thing I can think of is a bad relay.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.

I'm going to check the voltage like you said && that fuse website also. I've been telling my Husband it's mostly the wiring throughout the car. && We don't buy parts unless we're for sure, that's why I came here for advice. Thanks for your help.! Hopefully you helped me with my problem, lol.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: I've got problems getting my fuel pump to click on with my switch in a 92' Civic.

Originally Posted by 2point1
It sounds like you have a short or ground problem. Check the thermostat housing ground and make sure it's clean and tight.

The mail relay has two powers going to it. A yellow that is hot at all times and a black/yellow that is ignition power. The black wire is ground to thermostat housing. The green/yellow is the trigger from the Ecu. The yellow/black is power out to Ecu. The yellow/green is power out to fuel pump.

My guess cause of all the other issues you have is a wiring problem some where. Either some thing isn't plugged in or plugged in to the wrong thing. There could be multi bad fuses or fuses that aren't there when they should be. Could all so be a ground that's not connected. Last thing I can think of is a bad relay.
I'll take your advice and check it out. I have been thinking it was the wiring anyways. The interior and the exterior lights shouldn't have just quit out of no where. We have 2 leaks also, && while we didn't have a motor in it-it rained alot and I think it got into the wiring. There's a leak in the truck and our driver side window. Those are the main 2 places that absolutely doesn't need to be wet. Thanks for y'alls help. I didn't think anyone was gonna try to help, hehe.