Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???

Haven't done it my self, just alot of searching and pestering people for info. Basically the way to get it here would be to ship the car seperate from the drivetrain, this way its only concidered "parts" I can just about guarantee every rhd you've seen on this site(except canadians) has been brought in this way. Ship it complete and plan on never getting it back from customs, no joke. Or worse, they'll force you to ship it back. As far as registration goes, ask your dmv what is needed to make a off-road use vehicle legal for highway use. Keep in mind, although it may be state legal, it is NOT legal on the federal level(kinda like medical marijuana). You'll be hard pressed to get someone here kind enough to give you reg info... For me, George @ Gspeedcorp (aka shorsh) give me good bits of info. It's a shame gspeed is no longer around (for now) as i would have recommended getting the car from him.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate it. Not quite what I was wanting to hear. I guess I need to make some friends with the port authority/customs Anybody else have experience with customs in say (Florida)who wants to chime in? Cheers!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why pay for a JDM that was shipped to England when you could get it direct from Japan. You are going to pay for the English import and shipping fee also. Florida has a way to registar JDM's, you have to know somebody. They are not shipped to Florida, that state does not have a port that deals with Japan, you would go through Georgia, Savannah I think??? As you are thinking, it is going to cost to use all the people who know how to bend the rules but in the end you will still make a decent profit. Right now may not be the time to start though, the Yen is very strong making the cars more expensive right now here in Japan. Why dont you get started on the USA side of the business, Importing Knowledge, then contact me if you need help on the Japan side. I currently export to Sri Lanka as their Import Tax has dropped massively so many more regular folks can afford a new car now, they can only import 3.5 year old cars or newer so they are in the $100,000 range after all fees and taxes totaled. I am a red blooded retired US veteran living in outer Tokyo, Japan, let me know.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be purchasing a jdm vehicle as well. Any advice, tips or anything that could make the registration process easier pleassee let me know!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Got newer info on reg, basically you can't reg them as a "honda civic or integra" with 10-digit vin anymore. Only option is kitcar reg and while you may make it past dmv, you'll more than likely fail the chp inspection thats also required once they realise is really a honda, not a kit. So in short, california is gay
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Superfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM dr. dc2 he's the expert on this.