Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How much is too much water coming out of a tailpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much water coming out of a tailpipe?

My mom's 1st gen CRV was driven through a flood and stalled about a year ago. I brought it to a shop because it won't start. The problems were water inside the distributor and some bent valves. The valve seals were also replaced. Fortunately, the pistons and rods were not damaged. The head was milled by the shop because of blown head gasket from an overheat.

About two months ago, I noticed some smoke coming out of the tailpipe upon acceleration but I didn't mind it since the car is not use often.

A month ago, I decided to DIY repaint the whole car after fixing the rusted and leaking roof. I moved the car into the garage for the painting. After the painting process was done I would start the car occasionally to prevent battery discharge and this is where I noticed that the smoke coming out of the tail pipe is a lot (normally the car is just park on a driveway instead of the garage).

Tonight, I noticed that there were water droplets on the floor under the tailpipe. I revved the engine around 5-6k rpm and loads of water just shoot out from the tailpipe. It shot water 10 ft from the tail pipe and could be farther had there's not been a wall (see 1st pic). The white plastic container by the wall was dripping with water a large puddle of water on the floor.

Can water from the flooding incident retained after a year inside the muffler hence the smoke was the result of the steam from the water? Is that even possible or could it be engine problem? It is purely water - no trace of oil whatsoever.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. To accurately test the engine health you should do a compression test.

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 11-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: How much is too much water coming out of a tailpipe?

Originally Posted by _Endless_
My mom's 1st gen CRV was driven through a flood and stalled about a year ago. I brought it to a shop because it won't start. The problems were water inside the distributor and some bent valves. The valve seals were also replaced. Fortunately, the pistons and rods were not damaged. The head was milled by the shop because of blown head gasket from an overheat.

About two months ago, I noticed some smoke coming out of the tailpipe upon acceleration but I didn't mind it since the car is not use often.

A month ago, I decided to DIY repaint the whole car after fixing the rusted and leaking roof. I moved the car into the garage for the painting. After the painting process was done I would start the car occasionally to prevent battery discharge and this is where I noticed that the smoke coming out of the tail pipe is a lot (normally the car is just park on a driveway instead of the garage).

Tonight, I noticed that there were water droplets on the floor under the tailpipe. I revved the engine around 5-6k rpm and loads of water just shoot out from the tailpipe. It shot water 10 ft from the tail pipe and could be farther had there's not been a wall (see 1st pic). The white plastic container by the wall was dripping with water a large puddle of water on the floor.

Can water from the flooding incident retained after a year inside the muffler hence the smoke was the result of the steam from the water? Is that even possible or could it be engine problem? It is purely water - no trace of oil whatsoever.

Thanks for any help.
Looks fairly normal. Some of the water is a result of combustion, and most of that water is the result of the catalyst occurrence.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How much is too much water coming out of a tailpipe?

If your blowing water, check the drain port on the muffler for rust or blockage. If you cannot stick a paper clip in there to dislodge it, use a drill bit and port out the hole. I've done this many times on Ford Crown Victoria's as they are by far, the worst offenders. If that hole is blocked up it will rot your muffler out prematurely. Other than that, looks normal. Any change in odor?