Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How accurate are torque sticks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 How accurate are torque sticks?

Anyone have first hand experience using torque sticks on impact wrenches to tighten wheel lug-nuts?

Some people say you should always double check with a wrench after using a stick. While some say the sticks alone are just fine.

Using a torque wrench after using a torque stick & impact wrench would get the job done, but then why even use the torque stick in the first place if a torque wrench will be used in the end?

I would think the torque stick would be used instead of the torque wrench to save time and the manual labor involved with torque wrenches.

There are specific torque rating on these sticks. Are they only approximations?
Manufactures say they are accurate to +/- 3%? Is this false?

Has anyone actually measured the torque using a dial-type torque wrench to see if these sticks are accurate.

The torque stick I got is made by Snap-on, since I can’t imagine a company like Snap-on making inaccurate tools.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=77357&group_ID=2219 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Can a corded electric torque wrench (not cordless) be used with these sticks?
Eg. Dewalt DW292K with 345 ft-lbs.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618924&N=10000003+9 0401+503506+554

Is there a minimum torque that an impact wrench has to output for the torque stick to be accurate?

I don't mind using a torque wrench if it’s needed, but if something may be faster and just as accurate, then why not.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How accurate are torque sticks?

i tested my sticks before, they were all within 10lbs. of specified torque. it all depends on how long you hammer them with yor gun. almost takes experience and feel to use them properly and effectively
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

accurate enough that i use them everyday on the job.

if honda acura says they work fine then im guessing they work fine.

i dont recheck although i do replace them after using them so much that they start to fall off my impact.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque sticks are accurate enough when used on stock vehicles. It is more important that the studs and nuts are in good condition and properly lubricated. If the nuts are even the slightest bit tight on the threads, torque is a useless indicator of whether they are 'properly tightened' anyway. I use a dab of white grease on each stud. This ensures that they get tightened evenly and also ensures that the customer will be able to break them loose if they get a flat. Most mechanics and engineers have no idea how fasteners work. Torque is only an indirect measurement of whether a fastener is tightened properly. A good book to learn about how fasteners work is Carroll Smith's NUTS, BOLTS, FASTENERS, and PLUMBING Handbook. I believe that this book or one similar is a must read for any mechanic/engineer.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my snap on digital is great never given me a problem. i stretched my rod bolts to there specified limit. and i checked it with the tq wrench and it was dead on. so no complaints. motor has not had any failures.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

torque stick user here.

But like stated before...you must use finesse to properly torque nuts/bolts.

You can just fire away with your gun on full blast and zip the lug nut on full speed- not accurate. You should get the lugs seated, then blast with the stick....your gun must obviously be stronger than the setting you're trying to tighten too
Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went over to my box of torque sticks and it says "NOTE: Must be used with calibrated impact gun". Who the hell owns a calibrated impact gun? I have tested them in the past however, and they are generally within 10 ft/lbs. As I remember they were on the low side but that may have had to do with my gun (it is old) or our line pressure was low. That said, I do not believe they are accurate enough for track or high performance use so I always use a torque wrench when working with high performance cars.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Thx! Great info from all.

Here’s my understanding of how these torque sticks works...
I would think the minimum torque that an impact wrench must be able to deliver has to be at least the torque rating of the stick being used (eg. 80 ft-lbs). Once it hits that torque value, the stick twists from each blow of the impact wrench, and absorbs the extra rotational force.
The twist-untwist motion of the stick, and the repetitive blows from the impact wrench, move in sync at any torque greater than the rating of the torque stick.
If the impact wrench blows at 90 ft-lbs, the small twist of the stick will absorb the extra 10 ft-lbs of torque, preventing the lug-nut from turning further.
If the impact wrench blows at 250 ft-lbs, the larger twist of the stick will absorb the extra 170 ft-lbs of torque, also preventing the nut from tightening further.

With that said, I’ve also been told the following from different people…
- the impact gun must be able to deliver over 400 ft-lbs.
- an electric impact cannot be used with sticks, unless if it can deliver over 400 ft-lbs.
- if an air-impact gun is used, a minimum air pressure must be met.
- a torque wrench must be used after using a stick, since the sticks are not accurate.
- torque sticks are just a gimmick that should never be used.

Is there any truth to any of these statements?

Carroll Smith's NUTS, BOLTS, FASTENERS, and PLUMBING Handbook is almost 20 years old, is there a more recent version of this book?

Last edited by smxcan; 01-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should know your gun, settings, and torque stick well enough to trust an old lady driving her car after you put the wheels on....

Just practice with it....grab the blue stick, tighten some nuts, then double check with a calibrated torque wrench...if it tightens more, you know you didn't keep tightening enough, the torque stick is bad, or your gun is weak.

If torque wrench confirms torque, then loosen the nut with torque wrench setting just a few lbs more than desired torque(85 or so)....if it loosens up on the click, you know you're solid.

I usually just do a quick check of one nut per wheel after using a torque stick just for kicks.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smxcan

Carroll Smith's NUTS, BOLTS, FASTENERS, and PLUMBING Handbook is almost 20 years old, is there a more recent version of this book?
Yes, it is at least that old. As far as I know, though, the laws of physics haven't changed since it was written. :-)
Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda/acura dealers do not recommend torque sticks.there just **** like that. at work i use a torque wrench everytime. but before i worked for honda torque stick was all i used