Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

? for the Honda Guru's, See if you know(NEED HELP)Hello anybody???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for the Honda Guru's, See if you know(NEED HELP)Hello anybody???

Whats up fellow honda members, I have a good ? for yall. So last week my car started acting funny, cluster started going crazy only when accelerating, then had trouble starting car. So now it wont start unless you push it like a foot and when in nutruel. The selonoid make clicking sound on starter but the main part/starter itself does not turn the motor over unless like i said before you have to push the car like 6" to 12" after moving it then fires up perfectly fine. Have already replaced the starter and alt and all grounds r clean and new. Let me know what you think peoples so i can look at other options.Trying to get my car back on the road. I am mind boggled on this one. Would appriciate any advice you have "THANKS FOR ANY INPUT"

Last edited by mj91ef9; 06-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: ? for the Honda Guru's, See if you know(WILL NOT START)Hello anybody???

So I understand...
Engine will not turn over, [crank].
You can hear the starter solenoid "click", but motor does not spin.
If you push car about a foot when in NEUTRAL starter motor will crank engine.
Is that all correct?

Confirm it is the starter solenoid that you hear click and not just the starter relay under the dash.

I have no idea why engine would crank after pushing car a foot in neutral, if it was in gear flywheel would move off a spot with missing teeth and engine would crank, however that would not work if starter motor is not spinning.

Try this, open a door so dome light is on, keeping an eye on the dome light turn key to start, when you hear the "click" does the dome light dim a little or a lot?94
Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ? for the Honda Guru's, See if you know(WILL NOT START)Hello anybody???

Originally Posted by fcm
So I understand...
Engine will not turn over, [crank].
You can hear the starter solenoid "click", but motor does not spin.
If you push car about a foot when in NEUTRAL starter motor will crank engine.
Is that all correct?

Confirm it is the starter solenoid that you hear click and not just the starter relay under the dash.

I have no idea why engine would crank after pushing car a foot in neutral, if it was in gear flywheel would move off a spot with missing teeth and engine would crank, however that would not work if starter motor is not spinning.

Try this, open a door so dome light is on, keeping an eye on the dome light turn key to start, when you hear the "click" does the dome light dim a little or a lot?94
OK, far as i know all the grounds r good, If you push car in gear, will not start, has to be rolling(very little, like 6 to 12")like with door open and with ur foot pushing to start on a slope that is. The doom light has always had issues because i think the pin switch is bad. Starter motor will not turn while sitting still(solenoid does click,put hand on it while someone else tried to start)but soon as car starts to roll starter engages and car starts fine. Im going to recheck all ground today with multimeter and go from there. and if the flywheel was bad, whats the chances of the engine stopping on the bad spot every single time???
Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mj91ef9
if the flywheel was bad, whats the chances of the engine stopping on the bad spot every single time???
It is unlikely to stop on "dead" spot every time if that was the problem, but it is not, missing teeth on the flywheel would not stop starter motor from turning, also rolling it in neutral would not help if it was a the problem.

Can you turn the dome light on using the switch.
If so, try the test that way.

Also try a bypass jump, using a jumper wire with one end connected to the batt. pos.(+), touch the other end to the starter solenoids "trigger" terminal, BE CAREFULL, make sure car is not in gear and hand brake is set, if it works the engine will crank even if ign. switch is off. 94