Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Honda Del Sol b series swap troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Del Sol b series swap troubleshoot

Currently trying to troubleshoot and respectfully asking for anyone expertise (I've googled and heard others opinions). Current set up is on a 93 Honda del sol, 98' b18c1 converted to obd1 plugs with Rywire budgeted b series harness and HA Motorsports Socketed chipped P28(basemap=72) vtec ECU. Bolt on's are ALL skunk2 air filter and stack on skunk2 @lpha throttle body and skunk2 manifold, skunk2 @lpha headers and @lpha radiator. Grams fuel pump, on rail AEM fuel pressure regulator and a PC680 Odyssey battery powering it. Car would start up really loud (muscle car with cams loud) but I didn't move it, this was when I dropped the engine and finish bolting everything up. One day I go to turn it on and it sounded weak (not load like before), test drove it and it began bogging like crazy, break pedal went limp, check engine light came on and pulled CEL 9. Corrected timing (off by one tooth), changed spark plugs, lowered fuel pressure to about 43-45 psi. Engine is eating gas like it was 1.50 gallon. I've checked for vacuum leaks and cant find any, the mani sounds like its blowing air out, super loud hiss (its not I checked, almost sucked my hand in). The distributor is brand new, I accidently hooked the battery up backwards and blew the 80 fuse, I replaced it but my igniter and coil had to be replaced due to no spark. Should I had just replaced the whole distributor? Would a tune be needed? I've been working on my car for about 1 1/2 years all by myself and got this far and really want to get it up and running before I turn it into a money pit (I really don't want to waste anymore than what I already have). Any lil help from past experience and learnt mistakes would be highly appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Del Sol b series swap troubleshoot

***SMALL UPDATE***

Got a compression test done, Cylinders 4,3,2 read 180ish' and cylinder 1 is reading 60ish'. Obviously a huge culprit.... Just in case anyone cares
Old 01-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by homercan2
***SMALL UPDATE***

Got a compression test done, Cylinders 4,3,2 read 180ish' and cylinder 1 is reading 60ish'. Obviously a huge culprit.... Just in case anyone cares
What are you going to do?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to do a leak down to find out where the compression is going. Is you valve adjustment correct?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Removed the head, found two broken bolts, took to a shop where they removed them and mech said there was way too much carbon build up and cleaned it. My timing is WAY off now cause the car wont start, and I think the main problem in the beginning was the valve adjustment (aside from the two broken bolts), all off them were off... ***NOTE*** ALWAYS inspect an engine thoroughly, no matter who you buy it from. I know this should be a first rule of thumb, but sometimes you don't expect it from a friend. Fix hasn't been expensive, just a huge headache. Ill hopefully update in a couple of days.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Valve in cylinder 1 was closing, my valve adjustment was WAY off... now I gotta do timing because that is off as well, car sounds crazy like a cammed muscle car.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get arp head studs, you can resuse them and no more broken 1 time use head bolts
Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean valve in cylinder 1 closing? Also if timing is off stop running the car. What is your valve lash?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
What do you mean valve in cylinder 1 closing? Also if timing is off stop running the car. What is your valve lash?
***Wasn't**** closing im sorry. And we obviously are not trying to turn the car on with the timing off.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by homercan2
Removed the head, found two broken bolts, took to a shop where they removed them and mech said there was way too much carbon build up and cleaned it. My timing is WAY off now cause the car wont start, and I think the main problem in the beginning was the valve adjustment (aside from the two broken bolts), all off them were off... ***NOTE*** ALWAYS inspect an engine thoroughly, no matter who you buy it from. I know this should be a first rule of thumb, but sometimes you don't expect it from a friend. Fix hasn't been expensive, just a huge headache. Ill hopefully update in a couple of days.
What bolts were broken?

Sounds like you are making some great progress!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the car back from the shop and it was running good for about 5 minutes. Long story short, I took it home (on trailer), took the valve cover off and noticed the timing was way off, and two nuts were missing on the valves springs (cylinder 3 and 4). I found one in the head and the second one in the oil pan. With the oil pan off, I looked at the pistons from the underside and immediately noticed damage to cylinder 1 and the oil jet (squirtter is gone), I rotated the crack shaft carefully (this is AFTER I re did timing on cams and crank, checked and re-checked about 4 times) and the piston doesn't hit anything, I also did not noticed damage to where the piston would make contact to where the damage is at. I had a ratchet extension in cylinder 1 as I was trying to get at TDC and as it came up the extension literally shot out about 3/4 (this is after I did re did timing and valve adjustment). Take a look at the pictures and let me know what ya'll think. Also I cant go back to the shop and yell at them because the owner is my brother in law and I love my wife LMAO....
Pic 1 is the exhaust side, the second pic is the intake side, you can see the broken oil squirtter. I just saw this today and have not attempted to turn the car on, or will not turn it on until I can verify. I do not know if the damage was from the previous owner since I cannot find the brass straw from the squirtter. But I am pretty sure the pistons are not hitting anything.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

How close are the rods to the damaged area?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
How close are the rods to the damaged area?
IDK about before, but know they look flush. I manually turn the crank and it's not hitting and it does not look like it passes through the damage (as if it would still hit). The bottom end the rod does not seem to have damage...
Old 03-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't think thats a good sign but I'm hoping someone whose more experienced with engine building will step in here.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM
I like the tuna here

The damage to the block where the rods go, is it present on any of the other cylinders? It almost looks like it was clearanced for aftermarket rods.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
The damage to the block where the rods go, is it present on any of the other cylinders? It almost looks like it was clearanced for aftermarket rods.
Only cylinder 1 has damage.