Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Help needed! Question about fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed! Question about fuel pump

I have a Walbro fuel pump and Fuelab fuel pressure regulator. I was wondering every time you turn the key off and then on multiple times no matter how much time in between should i still be able to hear my fuel pump prime every time. The reason I ask is because I am having troubles with my car. Doesn't want to start after the car has been running or driven. Also, it will die at times when i am driving and come to a stop in neutral and i can see the RPM drop down below 1 and sometimes will die. My fuel pump primes about every time i turn it off and on but not all the time, some times i cant hear it prime. Also, when i watch the fuel pressure gauge on my fuel pressure regulator i can see it go up to about 50-60 when key is turned on and priming but will drop to zero as soon as the fuel pump stops priming. Shouldn't it hold pressure after its done priming for 2 or 3 seconds? I have checked all starting components such as distributor, wire, plugs, and I seem to be getting good spark and have related it down to a fuel problem for my dieing and hard starting issue. Any input is great!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help needed! Question about fuel pump

No it should stay at 40+ for several minutes even hours after priming it. Try a different fuel pressure regulator, check for leaks also.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I think you have a faulty FPR. The pressure should stay at 40-45+ all the time, even when the car is just idling.

Also you should here the pump prime everytime you switch the key to the on position. It shouldnt "decide" when it wants to work. It will happen everytime. Also when you shut the car off, the pump isnt going to prime again.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sr420Det
No it should stay at 40+ for several minutes even hours after priming it. Try a different fuel pressure regulator, check for leaks also.
Fuel leaks?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Knownworldwide
Yes I think you have a faulty FPR. The pressure should stay at 40-45+ all the time, even when the car is just idling.

Also you should here the pump prime everytime you switch the key to the on position. It shouldnt "decide" when it wants to work. It will happen everytime. Also when you shut the car off, the pump isnt going to prime again.
Well the fuel pressure does stay at about 45-50 PSI at idle, but when priming it will go to 45-50 PSI and then drop to zero as soon as it's done priming when you hear the click from the main relay. But yeah I can't hear my fuel pump prime all the time, about every time but there will be times where it won't.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, that is odd. You must have a leak somewhere in your system. What car is it that we are talking about? Does the car run bad? does it misfire at all? Also when you do get the car to eventually restart, is there a puff of smoke or strong gas smell out of the exhaust?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u are just asbad luck enough to get urself a faulty FPR as me mayb

i got an aeromotive(SERIOUS FUEL SYSTEM they self-claimed?lmao) that did the same **** to me too. the diaphragm inside the FPR wont fully closed (poor machining on the return port)that's how you losing fuel pressure.get a warranty claim bro....
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Change your fuel pump... and make sure that you keep at least your tank half full all the time to avoid damaging the pump.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree, FPR is probably one of the problems, pressure should stay up, I had my 94 Teg parked, [stored] for the winter, [4.5 month] and I still had 40PSI when I popped the hood.

The not priming every time is most likely a PGM-FI Main Relay problem, common problem on Honda/Acura, starts out very randomly and gets progressively worse, but an easy fix...

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html 94