Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Help with front caliper piston!

Old 02-13-2003, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with front caliper piston!

For the past few months, my car (94 LS) has been sitting on jackstands, awaiting front brakes. I've kept the caliper hung by a bungee cord. While installing pads in the rear, I pumped up the brake pedal, not realizing that the calipers in front had no pads to push against. So when I went to install front pads, the piston doesn't seem flush inside the caliper, it moves around and if I pull it hard enough, fluid seeps out.

What can I do to get the piston lined up correctly into the caliper and push it back in with a c-clamp? Whenever I try c-clamping it, it just ends up distributing the force unevenly and the piston starts 'floating' again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Help with front caliper piston! (harrytg)

hmm... well with the front, your supposed to push the piston back in with a c clamp so i'm not sure.. exactly what happen. but bump for ya. I did my front rotor replacement last week and i used the c clamp on my front and had no problems at all. But for sure i kno it shouldnt be leakin anything. And if it is brake fluid which it probably is, make sure not to get it near ur paint... its like pouring laquer thinner on ur car. gluck.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Help with front caliper piston! (harrytg)

If fluid is coming out then you've pumped the piston out far enough so the piston seal came out of the cylinder.

You gotta take off the rubber boot, then clean everything up, & put the piston back in. The piston seal is usually like a rubber ring. If you just get a C-clamp & push it back in, you'll probably tear the seal.

Get a repair manual & go at it like you're rebuilding the caliper. You might as well replace the seal.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with front caliper piston! (JimBlake)

If fluid is coming out then you've pumped the piston out far enough so the piston seal came out of the cylinder.

You gotta take off the rubber boot, then clean everything up, & put the piston back in. The piston seal is usually like a rubber ring. If you just get a C-clamp & push it back in, you'll probably tear the seal.

Get a repair manual & go at it like you're rebuilding the caliper. You might as well replace the seal.
Ugh.. this is exactly what I didn't want to hear. I don't want to even attempt this myself, how much do most people charge to rebuild calipers?