Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HELP! 95 GSR Teg Misfire upon start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 95 GSR Teg Misfire upon start.

Okay.. i am going to give as much info as possible to help you help me. Lol i have a 95 GSR Integra with 215xxx miles and when i start the car up it will misfire for a few seconds like 30 at the most and then clear up. NO CODES THROWN AT ALL.. i can drive it for a little while then park it and shut it off then start it right back up and it will not do it. Only if i let it set for a little while. Almost as if the pressure from the coolant system is pushing coolant into the cylinder as it sets for a few.. (blown headgasket??) Idk if it is doing this for sure though. It is just a theory. Why i have this theory is because the coolant level drops over time until its too low to see in the radiator. There is a tiny leak in one of the hoses but it is very small drip every so often and i know i need to fix it. (I will tomorrow) it jumped time somehow before i bought it from a friend and he had a guy put it back in time. Im not gonna lie i have had friends tell me its one of the fastest stock gsr cars they have rode in. It runs like a scalded dog so idk if it really could be timing related. I havent checked the compression by gauge but i can say i turned the motor over by hand and it was a tough one to turn over as if the compression is really good. I would have to buy a compression tester to see for sure. (Just running through all my options with what i have) i have worked on a few motors in my day and im really leaning towards maybe a blown headgasket. NO OIL IN COOLANT OR COOLANT IN OIL AT ALL. I mean i really need a second opinion or third or fourth. Lol im open minded and try to learn as much as i can. i learn something new every day. It makes me scratch my head. My close friend bought it from a guy and it needed alot. It was all stock. He payed me to do all the work. New alt, Timing belt, water pump, exhaust, CAI, Filter for valve cover, BWR rad, BWR rad hoses, plugs, wires, dizzy cap, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, vtec gasket, dizzy o-ring, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, i rebuilt the trans, new axles, new halfshaft.... Im sure there are more things to list. When he bought it the car had the hunting idle when warm and high idle when cold. i took the FITV off and tightened the ring up and fixed both. Thats when we discovered the misfire upon startup. He drove it for a few weeks on and off and told me it uses a little coolant. It does not run hot at all... I figured meh one of the lines are rusty and hose not getting good connection. I was right but idk if its enough to throw out a bad headgasket scenario. It may be timing.... Idk if the guy is credible of his skills that put it back in time. It basically jumped time setting in his yard. NO JOKE. He parked it when it was running fine and next day went to start it up and boom no start. I pulled valve cover and intake cam was off 2 teeth. I told him i couldnt do the job that i had plans and he payed someone else to do it. It just so happened i bought the car four days ago and now im here. I did not put the water pump on or the timing belt. The same guy that timed it did the belt and pump. Not that i couldnt i just had stuff to do and he happened to be free at that time.. ANY ADVICE IS GOOD ADVICE. SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY BUT THANKS IN ADVANCED. NOOB to honda-tech
Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: HELP! 95 GSR Teg Misfire upon start.

Could be a failing head gasket but that contradicts running like a "scalded dog" lol. Compression test will tell you what you need there. Use a timing light after the engine is warm, that will tell you if you are within factory spec there.

However, check the condition of the spark plugs/wires/ignition rotor before doing anything else. Also note the heat range on them. Post back what you have. Pictures as well.

Try priming the fuel system a few times before starting the car cold.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First start of the day, instead of starting it, pull the spark plugs and shine a flashlight down to the pistons. My guess is you'll probably see coolant, I had the exact same thing happen on my old integra.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Could be a failing head gasket but that contradicts running like a "scalded dog" lol. Compression test will tell you what you need there. Use a timing light after the engine is warm, that will tell you if you are within factory spec there.

However, check the condition of the spark plugs/wires/ignition rotor before doing anything else. Also note the heat range on them. Post back what you have. Pictures as well.

Try priming the fuel system a few times before starting the car cold.
Okay i will check the plugs out here in a few today. I will be sure to prime the pump a few times before i start it for sure but i doubt that will change anything. I have done it before and nothing happened. I will also check into the cyl when the sparkplugs are out to make sure there is no coolant having a pool party in there.. after that i will start going through the rest and get a timing light on that thing. Its so weird that it runs as good as it does but has this issue. I guess weird things happen. Makes me think the ecu is fighting to fix the mis or something at times when i start it but what is really crazy is.... I start it up cold when it was shut off at operating temp. >> it will mis... If i start it up cold when it was shut off last at operating temp. let it stop missing then cut it off. >> i can start it back up the next day and it wont miss upon startup. I tested this last night. The coolant system doesnt have enough time to build up pressure thus not pushing coolant into the cyl?? Do i sound crazy?? I mean it seems legit to me but i will check before i start her up to confirm for sure and let everybody know whats going on.
​​
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
First start of the day, instead of starting it, pull the spark plugs and shine a flashlight down to the pistons. My guess is you'll probably see coolant, I had the exact same thing happen on my old integra.
Im gonna try this today for sure. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Trial User

Okay i have some pics now to post of the gsr and stuff while i was checking everything out. My baby

okay now this is the leak on the goose neck below It is coming from the L tap on the goose neck. Need a new goose neck.
i also have pics of the plugs below when pulled earlier #1 cyl they all looked the same. No visual coolant in the cyls
and last of right now i primed the fuel pump like 4 times and it still missed upon startup and cleared up as usual withing 10-15 seconds. Hope this helps. Im still confused. Gonna check the timing sometime today or tomorrow hopefully if i can find the time in my schedule.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Trial User

I have yet to check timing due to no free time. I have been digging and digging on the internet for anything. I guess i can ask if anyone has ever heard of this being caused by a vacuum leak? I know i havent heard of a vacuum causing anything like this but this is my first gsr. It has the iab stuff and all that. Picking my brain to kill time until i can get a timing light on it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No. vacuum leak will not disappear after 10-15 seconds of running.

The coolant leak you have more than likely is introducing air into the coolant system which will cause the idle to stumble/misfire

Last edited by AllMtrRex; 03-07-2017 at 06:33 AM.