Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Harness question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness question

So on my 96 gsr i re ran the harness and got it a little better its pulling tight on my IAT sensor, so i started researching and seen that a GSR manifold has the sensor on top of the mani, mines on the first inlet. I bought the car a while ago i started checking stamps and the blocks B18C1, the heads stamped PR3-1 and the manifold is a PR3. So I'm thinking I have a gsr block with a b16 head and manifold thats why my harness is so damn tight.... am i heading the right direction i think??? Cuz the IAVC only has one bolt hole that matches to hold it on??? I really stumped here but my rings are bad so I'm gonna get a motor from h motors soon but I'm gonna build this one slowly....
Old 03-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Harness question

I think you are thinking of the type R mani which is like the Skunk2 one.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by homercan2
I think you are thinking of the type R mani which is like the Skunk2 one.
the stamps, do you think they match up gsr... pr3-1 on head and on the manifold in the back stamped pr3 and on my block first one I looked at b18c1, all my vins matcmatch just my harness is pulling hard and I'm trying to figure out gsr manifolds look different on the threads idk
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dc2lee
the stamps, do you think they match up gsr... pr3-1 on head and on the manifold in the back stamped pr3 and on my block first one I looked at b18c1, all my vins matcmatch just my harness is pulling hard and I'm trying to figure out gsr manifolds look different on the threads idk
Got this off a different forum

the B16A head is off either 1st or 2nd gen SiR's and also can be found in some Del sol's known as the B16A3
1 gen B16a1 or B17A(92-93 GSR)
2 gen B16A2
Del sol B16A3
Best used because of better flow through the head

and it will tell you on the head it self it should say above the exhaust ports PR3-1( 1 gen) PR3-2( 2nd gen ) PR3-3 ( 2nd Gen usdm delsol

the GSR head is a B18 head and it will also say above the exhaust ports P72
not good in the flow ports ... too restricted..

Type R P73 code

Perfrect flow through the ports...

your either better off getting a Type R head.... or if your low on doe get the B16 head and put the type r valvetrain in it, almost like a type R head.... just more affordable

also to get the head ot fit right you have to re-locate the dowlpins to the other side .. also tap the oil line and plug it.... get a machine shop to do all this stuff..... there experts in the field or doing that stuff...

go to : www.c-speedracing.com they have a good article about it
i think they got it from www.diyracing.com?? im not sure if that is the site they got it form... but c-speed has a better way of tell ing you.

hope that helps
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes sense thanks man appreciate it so my motor has a gsr block with a b16a head and manifold, weird car hauls ******* *** with low compression, 90 across the board...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dc2lee
Makes sense thanks man appreciate it so my motor has a gsr block with a b16a head and manifold, weird car hauls ******* *** with low compression, 90 across the board...
Your are welcome Apparently airflow is restricted on a p72, unless you do a couple bolt ons'. Maybe you got some aftermarket cams or valves in there
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by homercan2
Got this off a different forum

the B16A head is off either 1st or 2nd gen SiR's and also can be found in some Del sol's known as the B16A3
1 gen B16a1 or B17A(92-93 GSR)
2 gen B16A2
Del sol B16A3
Best used because of better flow through the head

and it will tell you on the head it self it should say above the exhaust ports PR3-1( 1 gen) PR3-2( 2nd gen ) PR3-3 ( 2nd Gen usdm delsol

the GSR head is a B18 head and it will also say above the exhaust ports P72
not good in the flow ports ... too restricted..

Type R P73 code

Perfrect flow through the ports...

your either better off getting a Type R head.... or if your low on doe get the B16 head and put the type r valvetrain in it, almost like a type R head.... just more affordable

also to get the head to fit right you have to re-locate the dowlpins to the other side .. also tap the oil line and plug it.... get a machine shop to do all this stuff..... there experts in the field or doing that stuff...

go to : www.c-speedracing.com they have a good article about it
i think they got it from www.diyracing.com?? im not sure if that is the site they got it form... but c-speed has a better way of tell ing you.

hope that helps

I am not sure where this information came from, but all that I have highlighted in BOLD above is completely erroneous and has no factual foundation. The B16A and ITR cylinder heads begin life as identical castings. Where they differ is merely inside the first inch or so from the valve seat... the ITR head has some minor short turn/side bowl work - light hand blend work of the rough casting. The obvious difference between these two heads would be the camshafts, valve springs and "pro-flow" style intake valves.

With respect to the differences between the B16A (PR3 or "30") casting and the B18C1 GSR P72 or "72" casting... the latter has a higher floor on the intake side and thus an easier turn on the short side of the bowl and through the valve. The P72 head out flows the B16A head in stock form. The GSR head will also out perform the ITR head when all ITR parts are installed in it... meaning ITR cams, intake valves and valve springs.

Lastly, ALL VTEC blocks and cylinder heads have the alignment dowels on the same side. The statement above about moving them only applies to building a LS-VTEC or CR-VTEC engine... using a non-vtec block with a VTEC head.