Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

gsr trans only goes in gear with the car off

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr trans only goes in gear with the car off

ill try to keep it short but its been a long battle. first off it started with my hydro gsr trans. i was using a competition clutch stage 2 with a fidenza flywheel. had that clutch for about 6 thousand miles. then one day when i was driving the clutch had full pressure but the engagement was almost to the floor so i was pretty much forcing each gear in to get home. i assumed it was my clutch because it always had a burn smell. i upgraded to a stage 4 competition clutch sprung. car drove perfect then i lost pressure when i drove for a long distance. i replaced my slave cylnder same issue then replaced my clutch master cylnder. same issue the car would lost pressure so i switched about 3 of each pieces and replaced my clutch line. issue was kinda resolved but then my orignal problem came back. the car wouldnt go into the gears from the clutch engagement pretty much to the floor.we measured the clutch fork movement and it was movin to spec. cant remember how many mm. so we drop the trans and changed clutch forks and clutch bearing and the same issue was still there. next we switched to a b16 trans and it ran awesome for a few weeks and the same issue came back just hard to shift. then out of the blue one day the engagement raised higher then normal and the car shifted perfect like a new tranny. then the next day i drove on the highway and 20 so miles later the engagement went back to the floor with full pressure still. the car wouldnt go into gear with the car running. i had to select 5th gear and start the car to drive home soon as i start it with the cluth down the car shoots forward as if the clutch pedal isnt working . ive bled it tons of times im at a loss. when i swapped trans my clutch had all the springs intact and the pressure plate wasnt bent and the flywheel bolts were still in spec HELP!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr trans only goes in gear with the car off

Have u tried adjusting the pedal up? I know that sounds simple so you may have already done it, but if there's a lot of slack in the clutch pedal try adjusting it up. The pedal does move up and down a bit as the fluid heats and cools, although usually it'd engage higher as you drive further.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I've adjusted the clutch and the same issue. I've even made a adjustable clutch fork lever where I out a stud to extend the slave cylinder and it put my clutch eengagement in the middle then I eventually lost the engagement to the floor again. ad of now the oonly thing "older" in parts is my flywheel but I've never heard of issues like this with a fly wheel
Old 12-09-2014, 08:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an Exedy oem clutch and master cylinder instead.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna try that and see thanks. of not I'll have to see if my springs on the clutch are still intact