Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

GSR nightmare, need good advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR nightmare, need good advice

Hey everyone... After posting on another forum with no real help, I've decided to give you guys a shot and see if you are more helpful

96 EK coupe, 98 GSR swap.

I was told the motor has ~60k on it, but who knows...

The car runs and idles just fine for the most part...

I have a tick coming from the head. I can't pinpoint it, but it is audible while driving and idling.

I am also burning a LOT of oil (well, it's going somewhere), about 1 qt. of 15-40 full syn every couple hundred miles, maybe more if I drive hard.

Getting about ~220 miles per tank of gas. Running 91.

Spark plugs are covered in oil. Not the boot side, but the spark side. When I say covered, I mean when I yank them, the oil drips and gets all over my valve cover. It's bad.

Alright, so with all of this, I went and got a compression tester.
I tested dry, and then tested wet.

On the first test, the engine was at running temp, WOT, all 4 plugs out, no fuel or ignition, 7 cranks per cylinder. Only did this one dry.

From left (dizzy) to right, I got 195 165 185 175

It was dark, and the cranking drained my battery so I waited until the next day and did it again with jumpers hooked up to keep me charged...

This time the engine was cold, WOT, no fuel or ignition, 8 cranks per cylinder, all 4 plugs out.

Dry:
185 145 160 165

Then I re-did the test with a capful of oil in each cylinder.
Wet:
220 185 230 220

So, this shows me that my rings are worn, BUT, I don't know *HOW* worn. The numbers are low, but are they like BAD low, or just "thats a used motor right there" low...?

And it appears that the low cylinder, #2 in my results, would be the one with the bad valve/guide/seal/whatever is causing the noise.

What I need to do is figure out what I should do. I am strapped for cash right now, and I just got this car 2 weeks ago.

Without a full leakdown, if you had just this info, and you had to make a decision, what would you try to do?

Would you swap the head for a good used one?
Would you drive it until it goes, FTW?

I mean, really, I don't know what my options are here... I can do a headswap no problem, but living in an apartment really stops me from swapping or rebuilding the whole thing... I do however depend on my car 100% for everything, and I travel for work...

Do you think a valve/head problem could use that much oil, and dump it into my cylinders like that?

Also, I can't really see ANY smoke from the exhaust, except SOMETIMES (but not always) when I downshift into vtec on the freeway or something, but only when in the higher revs...

Thanks in advance guys...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Default Re: GSR nightmare, need good advice (Phre0nBurn)

Oh, also forgot to add...

I did a valve adjustment, then re-did it just to be absolutely sure (it was my first time) that it was right. That was before all of the testing and noticing the oil loss and everything.

And the guage is the rental one from Auto Zone.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR nightmare, need good advice (Phre0nBurn)

Hey, I have A 2000 Civic ex with a 94 GSR Lower end has forged internals. I kept the head stock except studs and it was a little noisey at first then i also did a valve adjustment for the first time and it took me twice to do it right
With you saying it leaks thats much hold o ill be back.....
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM

lol
Yea, the second time I had a buddy come over and give me a hand... He knows his ish, and got it set perfect...

Anyone else???
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Oh come on... Someone here has to know...