Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Grinding when clutch let out from a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding when clutch let out from a stop?

I recently had a tranny gernade on me. Cracked the case ect. ect. I replaced the tranny. When I got it together for a test drive it made a terrible grinding noise when I let the clutch out. Sounds like grinding gears and very loud. I Started tearing back into it and noticed my axles splines were a little beat up. I got new axles and put them in today. Went out for another test drive and the same terrible grinding sound. The car rolls but makes a terrible grinding sound. I tried running through different gears, slightly letting the clutch out and still the same issue. A friend came to see what was going on and I mistakenly dumped the clutch. I know it was not a good thing but when the clutch was able to just fly out, the grinding went away and the car rolled just fine. I continued to let it roll to hear for noises and nothing. So I shifted to second and it shifted very smooth and no grinds of any kind. I continued into third and still shifted normal. Came to a stop sign, let the clutch out and again the terrible grind but as soon as the clutch was fully disengaged it went away and drove fine. My self curious decided to give it a little gas to listen for any thing out of the ordinary and it was fine shifted through the gears good. Came to another stop and still the grind untill the clutch was fully disengaged. Feeling somewhat confident I got on it a bit . It made it to third and I felt something let go like it just went into neutral. It will go into any gear, but now it makes the horrible grinding when the clutch is pressed IN and let out. The car slightly jerks but once the clutch is all the way out it just grinds doesnt roll anymore.
I realize that my diagnosis process of driving the car was a really bad idea. I learned my lesson but after spending literaly 20k on this car and having a total of 1 hour seat time fustration takes over.I would like a few more opinons about this before I take it back to the shop and get another expensive repair bill. What could my issue be, Bad clutch (has competition twin disc), another bad trans??
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Grinding when clutch let out from a stop?

All I can say is wow