Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Grinding Noise in Low RPM .. might be clutch chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise in Low RPM .. might be clutch chatter?

Hey guys,
I just posted a few days ago about a knocking noise in my new ITR .. well new to me .. its a 98 with 50K miles ... A few members said it was probably the valve hitting and not a knocking noise. That made sense so thanks for the advice everyone!

Here's another question:
I have this interesting grinding noise when ever I'm in either 1, 2, or 3rd gear while driving with the rpm low like below 2.5. An example is cruising in a parking garage or around my neighborhood.

The noise only happens when ever I give it alittle gas, but not when i'm letting it cruise. I know its alittle hard to understand so I made alittle video clip.

The noise is really noticeable near the end of the clip. In the middle there's a louder vibration noise, but thats just change in the ashtray ( forgot to take it out).

Any help would be great! Thanks again!

Video:

http://members.***.net/chuynh1/itr-problem.html

I've shown the video to a few friends of mine and they said it might be the syncros. Don't know what that is, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I also took it to the Acura Dealer today and had a technician sit in the car with me while I drove it. He said he wasn't sure and he would have to charge me 800 just to take the transmission apart to see what hte problem is.

Do you guys think its the clutch or transmission itself? Thanks for the help again.