Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Got a water leak from behind the cat....why??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a water leak from behind the cat....why??

Ok, yesterday I was warming up my car as i do every time i drive it. After it was warm I walk out to notice a line of water going down my car-port. Look under the car and there is a puddle ans this stuff is coming down kinda quick. Today when I changed my oil, I cranked it up to let it warm up so I could go drive it around. I looke dunder the car while it was running and at the joint where the cat meets the "catback" i see water coming out.

Why is it doing that, and is it a sign of engine failure or anything liek that? The engine runs strong, does not burn any fluid of any type. Although I do have a small oil leak and my radiator cap tend to leak the resovoir fuild out until it is to the "low" point...NEVER overheats.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got a water leak from behind the cat....why?? (B16CRXT)

H2O (water) and CO (carbon monoxide) are both by products of combustion. The water coming out is just condensation from the combustion process that takes place when your car is running.

Did you have your A/C on b/c your A/C condensation drain tube is in the general area of what you are talkin' about.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a water leak from behind the cat....why?? (DSeriesBKilla)

I dont have A/c on my car anymore. I havent had it since the swap and I dont remember ever seeing puddles of water b4 the swap.

So are you saying that water is a normal thing when it is coming out the tailpie etc.? How about when the tip of your exhaust turns black (normal)?

Thanks alot!
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Most people don't realize that your exhaust will rust from the inside out due to the water vapor condensing in a cold pipe. This happens when you take short trips in your car and the pipe is not hot enough to evap all the water produced in combustion. Check and make sure you don't have an exhaust leak after your cat allowing the water to run out.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a water leak from behind the cat....why?? (Go-Cart)

I'm not sure what you are saying about the "check for leak". But I'll take a stab at it... Water shoots out sparatically btwn the end of the cat and the rest of the exhaust. It isnt like a stream of water but it is constant. I havent checked it afte rhte car has been running for a while (after a drive), but it does it whne it has finally got warm in the mornings (yes, these are cold mornings).
Old 02-25-2004, 07:09 AM

My bad. I can't read. I was just saying make sure the water is only coming out the tip. If not, your are leaking exhaust gas where the cat meets the "cat back".

On another note make sure the water isn't leaking from somewhere else and running down the exhaust and dripping off the cat.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a water leak from behind the cat....why?? (Go-Cart)

Trust me, it is leaking from the joint of the cat and cat-back. I'm thinking maybe the gasket isnt btwn them. I dont know, but I get a small water buildup in the lip of the tip on these cold days, and water just continuously comes out the cat....

Can someone answer me about the black carbon buildup on the tip question?
Is it a bad sign or what? Do all cars do that? Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 01:43 PM

DSeriesBKilla is 100% correct. When you calculate it mathmaticly, for every gallon
of fuel thats burned, a gallon of water is created. I didn't beleive this at first, but I had a chemist do the math for me and it is correct.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a water leak from behind the cat....why?? (SoCalAutotech)

so you're tellin me that every 3 days, I put out 5 gal. of H2O? And becasue it is soo cold outside, the H2O is condensing into a liquid form: and during the summer we dont notice this H2O coming out of the tailpipe becasue it is in its vapor form?

Ok, so the water thing is answered...sort of.....what is the chemical formula of gasoline?

Also, <FONT COLOR="blue">still no answer</FONT> on the black buildup on the tip of the exhaust....any answers poeple?????

Thanks for the info thus far