Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it?

Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? It's avail. for $45 or so at NAPA. I'd kinda like to know why everyone pushes the OEM Honda belts so much. Are they really that much different than a good quality name brand aftermarket? They should just make one from Kevlar or something steel reinforced. There is no reason they should install a breakable rubber belt into an area so critical. Other than planned obsolescence.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (koco)

yes ive used them and they are fine.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (1_bad_EF)

I wouldn't risk my motor with any aftermarket belt. Except maybe toda or pe
Old 05-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (TREVER)

I'd 'risk' my motor with one...I have, and never had a problem.

Friends car has 100K on a Napa belt. (car has 200K+ and he rags on it hard)

I don't understand why they wouldn't use a timing chain?
Old 05-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (TREVER)

Get oem. when youblow your motor and have to spend over a G to get it fixed. 10 dollars will not mean anything at that point in time.

$55 plus shipping
Old 05-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (Bob-DC2)

I agree with you Bob (about the price), but are you suggesting that by not getting an OEM belt, you've got a greater chance at screwing something up?

That's simply not true in most cases.

Now on an 'ultra discount' belt, maybe. But not standard stuff at Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragen, NAPA etc.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getes make good t-belts. Some of the OEM Honda t-belts are made by Gates.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (hot_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd 'risk' my motor with one...I have, and never had a problem.

Friends car has 100K on a Napa belt. (car has 200K+ and he rags on it hard)

I don't understand why they wouldn't use a timing chain? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for this input. I have used aftermarket belts on many imports including a 300zx turbo with no problems. I just avoid the plain whit box ones you find for like $30. They didn't use a timing chain because of the noise it'd make. I think the belt should be steel belted kevlar or something unbreakable/unstretchable.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (Bob-DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get oem. when youblow your motor and have to spend over a G to get it fixed. 10 dollars will not mean anything at that point in time.

$55 plus shipping</TD></TR></TABLE>

The question is: OEM really better than all aftermarket belts? They are probably made for Honda at someone else's factory. The same manufacturer also probably makes timing belts for all different auto makers.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oem honda is the best, period. they have spent the most money on research and development, know what is reliable, and what isn't and their timing belts are to the exact specs called for by them to make the motor run properly. their parts are always the same, never longer or shorter...in the case of a timing belt and wear the same. i wouldn't trust an aftermarket windshield washer fluid with my honda, much less a timing belt which is absolutely crucial to the success of your motor.

and a belt is used because it doesn't require lubrication, is extremely durable and is noise free.

anyone who doesn't go OEM honda is asking for trouble, and when considering the problems most people have on this board its due to aftermarket parts or mistakes made by the person doing the work. rarely does OEM honda ever **** up, simply because honda engineers are some of the best in the world and they don't **** up.

Old 05-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Getes make good t-belts. Some of the OEM Honda t-belts are made by Gates. </TD></TR></TABLE>

apples vs oranges

many oem parts are outsourced through other companies. BUT they use different specs when making the part. Honda has a certain amount of requirments and specs that gates looks at when they build the part for honda.
you have know idea of the quality that gates uses when they make the parts.

same thing goes with spoon and many other companies. spoon only makes a few of their parts. they get it from company RRR. just cause rrr makes some spoon parts, all of rrr parts are not similar to spoon parts in terms of quality and performance.

I will GIVE for free a timing belt to be sent to a independent testing service. sent them gates or any other brand and we can compare the belts in terms of factual data and not BS theory
Old 05-25-2003, 05:36 PM

Well put it this way Gates is a Division of Goodyear
they make good rubber products.
I read that alot of time and effort goes into designing those timing belts as well as drive belts ..
im sure you will be fine with a Napa belt
O.E honda parts this and that ...
do what you want and what is most convienent for you
Old 05-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (chet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oem honda is the best, period. they have spent the most money on research and development, know what is reliable, and what isn't and their timing belts are to the exact specs called for by them to make the motor run properly. their parts are always the same, never longer or shorter...in the case of a timing belt and wear the same. i wouldn't trust an aftermarket windshield washer fluid with my honda, much less a timing belt which is absolutely crucial to the success of your motor.

and a belt is used because it doesn't require lubrication, is extremely durable and is noise free.

anyone who doesn't go OEM honda is asking for trouble, and when considering the problems most people have on this board its due to aftermarket parts or mistakes made by the person doing the work. rarely does OEM honda ever **** up, simply because honda engineers are some of the best in the world and they don't **** up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't think the parts are manufactured in a Honda factory, do you? Lots of Honda's OEM parts are made at different factories and have different names on them. The automaker supplies the specs and the company makes the parts for them. The partsmaker also sends the same parts to different distributors in different packaging/labeling. The company that makes Honda brand timing belts probaly makes Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota and so on.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
rarely does OEM honda ever **** up, simply because honda engineers are some of the best in the world and they don't **** up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hahahahaha, how big is that rock you've been hiding under?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

many oem parts are outsourced through other companies. BUT they use different specs when making the part. Honda has a certain amount of requirments and specs that gates looks at when they build the part for honda.
you have know idea of the quality that gates uses when they make the parts.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your right. I don't care much for aftermarket parts at all but I still think Gates makes good t-belts.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (Chiovnidca)

obviously honda outsources many parts that go onto their cars...

however these parts are made to their specifications, and as already mentioned you can only hope to get a part of similar quality from an "aftermarket" company.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been using aftermarket belts for as long as i could remember.As long as you install it right,it should not **** up on you.even a honda belt can **** up if it is not installed properly.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Gates brand USA made timing belt from NAPA. Anyone used it? (aeolus)

why do you think gates makes good belts? what solid facts are you standing behind when saying this?

To save 10-20 bucks is not worth it when you either the belt breaks or slips a tooth and you drop a valve or worse. Then you get to rebuild your engine. I doubt honda would warranty you if you have a gates belt on.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you think gates makes good belts? what solid facts are you standing behind when saying this?

To save 10-20 bucks is not worth it when you either the belt breaks or slips a tooth and you drop a valve or worse. Then you get to rebuild your engine. I doubt honda would warranty you if you have a gates belt on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What solid facts do you have to support Honda OEM belts (made by someone else anyhow) being better than all aftermarket ones? Warranty is not a concern for me. It's more like a $40 savings over OEM. The purpose of this post was to perhaps find some more solid facts for or against. Upon failing that, I'll have to research this matter further.