Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

EVAP Smog Questions B17A Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP Smog Questions B17A Engine

I have a B17a which will be going into a DB2 chassis, so I don't need to go to the ref, just standard smog. My goal is to keep all of the smog equipment functioning properly but may settle for "looking right" depending on the situation. I also don't want to have to swap parts out every time I smog the car. My main question is regarding the IM and TB.

I'm going to be running an ITR intake manifold (from another thread I ran into, I think it's a USDM manifold). I have a 60mm TB that I'm unsure of the what car it came off of. I'd like to use this TB since I have it (maybe send it to Maxbore) but the problem is it does not have a nipple on top for the red braided hose which normally leads from the TB to the EVAP canister.

Here's a photo of what the red hose should look like hooked up (this is a ITR in an EF):

Now here's a pic of the TB I have, see how that nipple is missing:

I'm wondering if I can use this TB and still hook up the EVAP. I figure I have 2 options:

1) Install a fake nipple on the TB, hook up the hose and hope that the smog tech can't tell. Anyone know what sorts of tests they do on this system?

2) Install the red braided hose onto another nipple. The one on the back of the TB (in the 1st pic I posted it would be the one with the "shitty reducer". But that would supply a lot of vacuum to the EVAP system and I'm not sure what that would do. Plus it's not hooked up to the TB, so maybe the smog tech would notice?

Anyone have any other ideas besides finding a TB with the right nipple on it?

TIA
Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: EVAP Smog Questions B17A Engine

Find the TB with the right nipple on it. One of the test required for your year car is "The low pressure EVAP test" which you will fail.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help, even though it's not the news I wanted. I've been looking for a TB for a couple weeks now and haven't found a damn thing except overpriced ITR TB's.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to use a later style throttle body like the one you have pictured, and have it be correct for your application (with the vac nipple on top), then these ones will work:

94-95 GSR
94-95 Del Sol VTEC (B16A3)
Unsure of exact years for an ITR throttle body, but its probably the early ones, like a JDM 96-97, or a 97 USDM one.

You could also run a first gen B series throttle body as all of them have the nipple on the top, but then you would need to use a firewall mounted MAP sensor. I have a few first gen B16 throttle bodies laying around if you need one.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fourthgenhatchB17
If you want to use a later style throttle body like the one you have pictured, and have it be correct for your application (with the vac nipple on top), then these ones will work:

94-95 GSR
94-95 Del Sol VTEC (B16A3)
Unsure of exact years for an ITR throttle body, but its probably the early ones, like a JDM 96-97, or a 97 USDM one.

You could also run a first gen B series throttle body as all of them have the nipple on the top, but then you would need to use a firewall mounted MAP sensor. I have a few first gen B16 throttle bodies laying around if you need one.
Yeah, so far I'm unsure exactly which ITR TB's would work. I too have a 1st gen b16a TB laying around but it has a FITV and I do not want to run one of those. I need to see if maybe using a block off plate is an option.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not all first gens have the FITV. Some have the FITV attached to the bottom and some have the FITV attached to the manifold.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fourthgenhatchB17
Not all first gens have the FITV. Some have the FITV attached to the bottom and some have the FITV attached to the manifold.
Yeah I know, but mine does have the FITV on it. I also have a P61 TB which is one that uses the IM mounted FITV. I'm thinking more and more maybe I'll just use the one w/ the FITV and make a block-off plate.