Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Engine Block heater Question.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Block heater Question.

Im from the south and we didn't have a problem with freezing temperatures. Here in chicago it's a different story. I want to break my motor in already, but it's way too cold for that and I wanted to know if there were any tricks people did here in the winter to raise the temperature on the motor in order to break it in. My garage is not heated by the way which is the sad part.

I heard they make these magnetic oil heaters they attach to the bottom of the oil pan and and it heats up the bottom of the block, oil pan, motor, etc.

I also spoke to another guy and he said that they make heater plugs that attach to the coolant block, and it's powered electrically. But he told me those are discontinued.

Any helpful advice please. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Block heater Question.

they do make oil pan heaters and block heaters. the oil pan heater is RTV'd to the bottom of the pan. the block heater replaces one of the freeze plugs in the back of the block. then you have to plug them both into a wall outlet in your garage. i dont know if they will do what you are wanting, but i had them on all my vehicles when i was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska and they kept my cars from freezing up at -60 degrees. you should be able to pick both heaters up at any local parts stores. Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with the screw in factory type from Honda or aftermarket...Unscrew the block plug and screw in the heater very simple. Have heard about the oil pan heaters but if not done right they fall off lol
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I've read, adding a heater to your coolant lines is the most effective. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13080-Alu.../dp/B000I8VKOY
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fusion210
From what I've read, adding a heater to your coolant lines is the most effective. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13080-Alu.../dp/B000I8VKOY
where did you hear this topic about ?

i mean would it hurt anything if i turn my motor on for the first time, i mean everything is applied with assembly lube.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Canuck99
I would go with the screw in factory type from Honda or aftermarket...Unscrew the block plug and screw in the heater very simple. Have heard about the oil pan heaters but if not done right they fall off lol
they discontinued making those. :[
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EF9_TryMe
where did you hear this topic about ?

i mean would it hurt anything if i turn my motor on for the first time, i mean everything is applied with assembly lube.
The cold start is always when the most wear occurs.

However, without pumping warm oil through the entire engine prior to starting it, nothing is going to prevent that.

Just turn the car over, run it at low loads until full engine temp is reached, then break it in properly. Of course, the correct way to do this is all on a dyno, but that costs money. It is already tuned, isn't it? If not, only start it long enough to check for leaks, then trailer it to a tuner to break in on the dyno.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in CT and I broke a motor in during the winter. There was ice on the ground so it was freezing not sure of the air temp. Have you fuel pump & spark plug wires off to prime the motor. Crank it until you get oil pressure. Then start it up. DO NOT try driving it unless the motor is fully warmed up (ie. thermostat opened). The assembly lube and the oil from the priming will protect the motor from damage.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
The cold start is always when the most wear occurs.

However, without pumping warm oil through the entire engine prior to starting it, nothing is going to prevent that.

Just turn the car over, run it at low loads until full engine temp is reached, then break it in properly. Of course, the correct way to do this is all on a dyno, but that costs money. It is already tuned, isn't it? If not, only start it long enough to check for leaks, then trailer it to a tuner to break in on the dyno.
its a stock b16a2 motor just rebuild from the ground up with p30 pistons.