Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Emission Test Results... briefly explain emission control systems and test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Test Results... briefly explain emission control systems and test results

Setup: 1990 Honda Civic Si with B16 JDM converted to 1994 Del Sol Specs OBD1 (P30) with AEM CAI (hybrid which I have to switch to del sol stock since hybrid has no EO#.. any other suggestions?), DC Headers ('97 Type R which the ref didn't even bother I guess since it had a EO#, didn't even check), 2-1/4" exhaust with cat and resignator with non-stock regular style muffler. Hondata IM gasket. Nothing else really modified.

<U>ECS (Emission Control Systems): Missing or Modified</U>
Missing:Vacuum Lines to Sensors
Missing:Wiring to Sensors
Modified:Fuel Evap Controls
Modified:Other Emission Related Components

<U>ASM Emission Test Results</U>
-----------%CO2 %O2- --------HC------- ---------CO %------ ----------NO---------
Test RPM MEAS MEAS MAX -GP -MEAS -MAX --GP -MEAS --MAX ---GP ---MEAS
15--2147--14.4---0.3---95-286--164---0.58-2.08--0.58----726--1981--2476
25--2490--14.9---0.0---60-236--059---0.57-2.07--0.25----786--1781----608

I am missing the data link connector in right kick panel (which I have yet to test to see if that is the extra wires in the Rywire conversion harness that I believed to be the service check connector). If not, then I need to add it. Anyone confirm this should connect to D7 (ECU) and other to ground?

I also put my purge solenoid on the firewall tapped into the line going to the top of the tb which is also connected to the bottom of evap purge control diaphragm. My manifold does not have the line coming from the backside of im behind the fpr. I will tap into soon... any ideas as to what I can use as a nipple?

Beyond the questions above, any suggestions on my high levels at 15mph? The cat is pretty much brand new, not high-flow, but replacement from stock. My guess is that it wasn't hot enough, but any ideas as to how I can lower them to better my chances. I would rather do this without using stuff like "guaranteed to pass" products.

The only other thing is that my idle will sometimes when coming to a stop, bounce from idle (which is within spec) to about 1200rpm, back down and up again. This happens for only a couple minutes before it returns down and continues as normal.

With OBD conversion, new dizzy, plugs, wires, O2 sensor and did oil change prior to test. Running 91octane which is pretty much highest around without running over 100octane.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for 28 views, no reponses. =}
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gmoneyef)

Where to start??? Let's start with the failures...

Missing Vac lines and wiring to sensors. This could be your answer right here. What is missing and or disconnected? and Modified?

Purge Sol needs to be run to IM.

DLC data link connector. Not required for OBDI Might be needed for ref?

For a nipple try a hobby shop with gas planes and or cars they might carry something close.

91 octane = no no! run 87
Make sure the timing is correct.

How long has the motor been in the car? Might try some Seafoam or other cleaner for reducing carbon.

How long have you driven with the new cat installed? It takes a couple of days to get peak performance out of it. With your O2 @ .3 he could have warmed up the cat a little more before the test. This would explain your high numbers at 15mph.

If you have any more Q'sss just ask.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thesmogman)

Thanks for the feedback.

The missing lines were the vacuum that I didn't have routed to the backside or the manifold, rather t'd into the tb nipple next to the map sensor. This has been moved (also moved purge to stock location on manifold) and tapped into the stock location on the backside of manifold. No worries here. The nipple for the backside I just used a vacuum line extender that is on the 90si!

The data link connector was required by ref. I am currently looking up what ecu pins this comes from. Which I believe are D7 and any ground??

87 octane just for test or regular basis? I have heard that lower octane helps, but all that I have read and past experience with the B17 says to use 91 (highest common available here). My timing was 16btdc. After moving my purge valve and tap into back of manifold, the timing advanced more.

Motor has been in car over a year. I gave a good cleaning when I had the manifold off.

That cat is probably the problem. It was previously used for approximately a year and then removed. I put it only only the day prior with only running it pretty much to the test which was about 25 miles and 45 minutes.

I think if I can get the data link hooked up and re-time, I shouldn't have any problems... that is, after I get my hands on another approved intake.