Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Electrical help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical help needed!!

Let me start with how this started.

1995 civic ex, manual, obd1 LS swap with 10k miles on it professionally rebuilt by honda

My brother left my wrench on the cowl by my windshield above my battery one day, a few days later while i was driving it fell down and hit the positive terminal on my battery.

The clamp holding the positive battery cable to my battery melted and my car shut off while driving.

I replaced the positive battery cable with a generic one from the parts store i broke down in front of and the car started up just fine. a few minutes later it died while idling. I started it up just fine and while idling again it died. I started it up and drove home (which was less than a mile away) and parked it.

The next day i replaced the positive battery cable with a factory one hoping for a better result. Same issue kept occurring. I drove the car for a couple days because it started fine and ran fine, and i just held the idle higher when i was stopped. over the next couple days i noticed the issue slowly go away.

then one night i got home from work and i shut off my car and locked it up. i came back outside 30 minutes later and the car unlocked, but would not start. I had no dash lights, i did not hear the main relay click, or the starter. no power to anything. i got out and tried to lock it up, and it would not lock, because of no power im assuming.

the next day i jump started it and it started no problem.

i tested the battery at my work and it was operating like brand new and tested good. i then tested the volts it was putting out..

engine off it tested 12.5 volts (which is good)

engine idling it tested 14.5 volts (which is good)

i was told that means that my battery is not the issue, my alternator is not the issue (since the volts on my battery at idle went up to 14.5), i switched out my main relay with a new one and the issue is still occurring, i did not blow a fuse anywhere, i checked all my grounds, and NO cel codes while driving

though when i did a CEL test with the plug and a paperclip and the car on but not running, i got code 0 (which is the ECU code)

now im just wondering what my next move should be and what i should check next. at this point i assume it can only be the ecu or the wiring somewhere in the car.

any input is appreciated
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical help needed!!

bump
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try another ecu. They can be had fairly cheap these days.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check ur fuses next to the battery it may have a crack in the Main fuse that u can't see unless it's hot
Old 03-23-2015, 03:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check all your fuses for actual continuity not just that they look good, not just the ones in the engine bay, but in the dash too

if they ALL check out ok, take out your ecu and look it over for any burned spots

also, are you having to jumpstart your car ?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! The car is running great now. I had to jump it that one time and after that I changed the main relay, wasn't the issue, because it died on me after that again, but I also cleaned my IACV, and that actually stopped the issue. The electrical part was weird because nothing like that has happened since. All fuses are good and I got another ecu to try if I need to, but all seems fine now. Sorry for the late response, just didn't think to check since it runs again. Appreciate the help again!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.