Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

ECU/Wiring Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 08:29 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU/Wiring Knock Sensor

Car: '95 Integra GSR

Situation: After throwing a CEL (code 23 - Knock Sensor), I wasn't sure if it was my wiring to the KS, or the KS itself.

Action: To eliminate the variables I decided to run a wire (18g) straight from my ECU (pin D3) to the harness that plugs onto my KS. I noticed that the KS wire from the ECU entered into a "loop" of wires. I guessed that this was a ground that grounded all wires coming from the D connector out of the ECU. I simply ran the new wire from the D3 pin before the "loop".

Upon removal of the original KS, I discovered that it was damaged. I'm currently waiting for my new KS from Acura.

Question: Will my direct wire connection from the ECU to the KS cause any problems after I install the new KS?
I figured that when Honda swaps are performed, esp B18C's into Civics with a P72 ECU, a KS must be directly wired into the ECU anyway.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:33 AM

Default Re: ECU/Wiring Knock Sensor (SteelCityKid)

Good question. i would be interested to know also.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:54 AM

Default Re: ECU/Wiring Knock Sensor (CR-X)

if you mean you can just run a straight wire from the ecu not through the harness then yes. you can do it with no problem
Old 04-20-2002, 08:28 AM
New User

Default Re: ECU/Wiring Knock Sensor (rainforest)

Even a wire that is not shielded? I've heard I have a 50/50 chance of it working without a shielded wire.

I noticed when the harness was unplugged from the KS that the wire was "pierced" about 1/2 inch away from the harness do to strain. By seeing visible wire I figured it might be pinched somewhere else too. That's what prompted me to run a hardwire to the ECU to try to avoid any other wire problems. But now it seems the wire might be a problem again because it is not shielded...I'll find out when I replace the KS. Sounds like I have a 50/50 chance of this wire working.