Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Door SWITCH not working & Parasitic Battery Drain!!???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door SWITCH not working & Parasitic Battery Drain!!???

I have two issues going on which may be related. I have a 2006 Civic EX Coupe. The driver door lock works in every way except when I press the switch on the door itself (the one on the inside of the door with the key icon on it). My FOB works, my key works, and the actual manual toggle works and also controls the passenger door as it should. Only the switch itself does nothing. Not even a clicking sound. Dead completely. Most people talk about having an actuator problem, but my door is locking and unlocking properly in every other way. The power windows work properly. I would look at the switch itself to see what is going on, but it looks to be sealed into a module that includes the window switches. A replacement of the entire module is about $50 so perhaps I should just replace the entire thing, but if you guys know that it's not likely the problem please let me know. Perhaps I should take off the door cover and inspect the wires but I am hesitant to do so as at least the windows work and I wouldn't want to screw it up further.

The car also has a parasitic drain that has started and I wonder if this is coincidence or not. The battery drains dead if the car is not driven for 2-3 days. The battery shows at 14.69 while running so I assume the alternator is good. I performed a parasitic drain test and found that something is pulling 400 milliamps, way over the 50 recommended. I pulled every fuse and the only one that dropped the milliamps was the "backup" fuse. I thought it might be the door locks but pulling fuses for the door locks and windows did nothing. Not sure how to hunt down the problem. No aftermarket parts, and I can't afford to pay an electrical mechanic to figure out what it is. My stock CD player doesn't work (radio and ipod input work) but that's been broken for a few years so I didn't think that was causing it, and Honda just changed the passenger airbag due to a recall a few months ago and the "airbag off" light doesn't light up, so could that be related? Eh.

At this point I'm thinking of pulling the backup fuse when I get home and put it back in the morning when I go to work until I can figure out what is causing this.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Door SWITCH not working & Parasitic Battery Drain!!???

Hi there,

I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever sort it out?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Door SWITCH not working & Parasitic Battery Drain!!???

I am having the same issue with my 2006 civic.

I think it’s the door lock in the drivers console that is defected leading to battery drain.

The switch should only have a lock and unlock but I noticed there is a third area it can settle in and this might be why the battery drains.